Home General Freshwater Fishing

Non Native Tournament Last Weekend.

Did anyone fish that tournament last weekend?

It was pretty fun and I didnt realize how serious people took it. We had 163 pounds of mayan chiclads, oscar, spotted talapia, and jaguar chiclads. 1st place was 231 pounds and second place was 201 pounds I think. We could have won the thing if we would had taken it more serious. We only fished 8 hours out of the 24 hour tournament from the banks. Next year we will take the boat. It was non stop action.

Replies

• Barrett1Barrett1 Posts: 165 Officer
    Sounds fun. I have a bunch of cichlids in a 250 gallon aquarium. The bigger jags and Loisellei have pretty much taken care of the weaker stock. I need to go to South Florida and replenish my tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    That's sounds pretty cool. What do they do with the fish ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    capt louie wrote: »
    That's sounds pretty cool. What do they do with the fish ?

I wondered the same and was hoping they were donated somewhere to the needy. Although I am wary of eating anything out of urban canals. All that pesticide and lawn chemicals has to poison the water.

Anyway, sounds like a blast and congratulations on doing so well.

My next thought was DANG that's a lot of fish taken out of circulation. I know they're invasive and we should want them eradicated, but....I'd frankly rather have them there. The invasive exotics are an amazing fishery in south Florida. And they're temperature contained.

I was on a rare trip to Miami and fished a bunch of canals 2 days after this tourney took place (hits urban canals and Everglades canals), and the action on invasives and native fish was non-stop, so I'm guessing (hoping) that even taking hundreds of pounds out of the water in one day still only makes a dent in their population.
  • gnappignappi Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I have no problem eating fish out of local canals and lakes at all, especially peacocks.

As far as numbers and catch / release go cold weather kills many, so I doubt eating them between natural weather kills will hurt. Now AFTER a winter kill off I dig letting numbers recover, but when they're as thick as they are right now? Nah, fry em up :-)
    Regards,

Gary
  • TrafficTraffic Posts: 127 Deckhand
    What were you catching the ciclids on? I used to catch them with Yozuri Snap Beans but can't find those any more. Everything else I try they charge but don't bite.
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Traffic wrote: »
    What were you catching the ciclids on? I used to catch them with Yozuri Snap Beans but can't find those any more. Everything else I try they charge but don't bite.

Don't know what they used, but I slay them to lunker size on red worms and night crawlers.

Ebay has them in many colors, see item # 302112629877

What color did you use?
    Regards,

Gary
    gnappi, they were chrome with blue top. Sports Authority used to carry them. They came two in a pack. Those on ebay look like a different finish but worth a shot. The hooks were very light and got crushed after an oscar or two. So I switched them out.
    gnappi, they were chrome with blue top. Sports Authority used to carry them. They came two in a pack. Those on ebay look like a different finish but worth a shot. The hooks were very light and got crushed after an oscar or two. So I switched them out.

Oscars huh? There's a brackish lagoon nearby that has so many Oscars you could almost walk on them, I heard they're Delicious! Have you ever tried eating them?

Regards,

Gary
    Regards,

Gary
    No. I ususally fish Lake Ida in Delray Beach. The water is not inviting so I don't eat anything out of there.