4/19 Key Largo Patch Reef

I came down for a week from the Melbourne area and brought the boat. As most of you know it was super windy with a SCA in effect. Anyway, got out there to a patch reef with a nice 16 to 30ft drop and put out the chum bags for a while. Netted a ton of ballyhoo to take back with me for the dolphin run up in my area. Caught a few barely legal snapper to take back to the condo for dinner. Right when I was finishing up 2 cobia appeared behind the boat. One ate a ballyhoo chunk and I put it in the box. The other one wouldn't eat anything including a live bait. With the wind not letting up I headed in.

I also went out 2 days before on Monday to a different patch reef area and had a large blue runner down on the bottom. First hookup got broke off in the leader section. Second lost fish was on 50lb fluro with a 5/0 9174-BR mustad hook. Carefully fought the mystery fish for 25 minutes and never saw it. Snapped the hook right where the bend in the hook starts. My buddy sent me pics of bluefin in the sand flats down in Islamorada. Maybe it was a tuna? Who knows.

It was our 5th time staying at Port Largo and we had a great time just bar hopping the rest of the days and will be back in the fall! We stopped over at that Gilberts place for the first time and it was like little Miami over there. Man you guys have some ridiculous sunsets!

Replies

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,977 Captain
    Nice Cobe -
    good to see some guys from my old grounds posting in the Keys
    We used to Run out of SI now at Marathon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 915 Officer
    Cool. We have to get out there one time when I come down.
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 310 Deckhand
    Nice job, Andy. We were going to head down for Spring Break too, but bailed due to the wind. We have been going the last 4 or 5 years and have been blown out most of them, so the family wanted to wait last minute to pull the trigger. Going to shoot for early June when the kids get out of school. I NEED to get down there soon!!
  • Shark bittenShark bitten Posts: 209 Officer
    Bluefin on the flats wow. Think his gps was off a bit. Nice catch, we'll be down 6/6. What bridge is in the background? Looking for some tarpon and snook spots
  • EvanrEvanr Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I heard about the bluefin on the fishing report, I looked it up and like 30 years ago they were there like the black fins are
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Nice cobia. those are rare in key largo though they are caught once in a great while. I hear reports every year about the Blue fin coming through. usually you here of one or two people hooking up every year and getting spooled. but I have never heard of them near the flats usually you here about them way out in the stream.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
    Looking for the dang pic.
    Ahhh, found it.