Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pulley Ridge or Christmas Ridge

Going to head to Pulley Ridge out of Gasparilla or Boca Grande as soon as I get a couple buddies lined up who want to go and good weather. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later. I'd go tomorrow. If weather permitting it is definatly going to be in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone on here been before? I hear conflicting things. Some people tell me that Pulley and Christmas are the same thing? I know it is approx 90 miles out of Boca Grande. Although a local captain told me a couple days ago it was 84 miles but I think he was wrong? Hopefully I won't be able to miss it on the bottom machine. roughly 240'?

Plan on trolling some on the way out and bottom fishing when I get there? Squid, live bait?

Any suggestions on rigging and bait out there? I was just going to rig it like I am grouper fishing except up the weight to 8 ounce or 10 if needed?

Looking for any and all info. If you have a thought I'd like to know...please..:)

I'll be heading out in a 27 foot world cat with twin Suzuki 200's.

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Fished Christmas ridge with a guide buddy of mine last year. Only caught shorts, buddy said commercial guys hit that area pretty hard, on regular basis. Not sure about pulley ridge. We fished 10oz. Standard grouper rig with cut bait and live pins/grunts. From what I remember it was about 300ft or so. We used conventional as well as electric reels. We're also broke off trolling twice, which we suspected Wahoo
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 270 Deckhand
    I think that you need to purchase a chart where you wish to fish.

The Northern most part of Pulley Ridge is approximately 153 NM from Boca. Christmas reef is 107 NM North of Pulley Ridge. Christmas Reef is 90 NM from Boca.

In my opinion, with the lack of information, charts, rigging, etc., you are definitely NOT ready to go tomorrow.
    nfairbank wrote: »
    I think that you need to purchase a chart where you wish to fish.

The Northern most part of Pulley Ridge is approximately 153 NM from Boca. Christmas reef is 107 NM North of Pulley Ridge. Christmas Reef is 90 NM from Boca.

In my opinion, with the lack of information, charts, rigging, etc., you are definitely NOT ready to go tomorrow.

I am gathering information. I have charts, rigging (and I even know how to use it), years of experience operating vessels. Just asking some questions.

Not sure where you are getting 153 miles from Boca? The most I am measuring is 103 miles? Care to share where you came up with that number. The ridge is in 240 to 350 foot depth range. If I went out 153 miles I am dropping off into over a thousand feet of water. That is not where I want to go.

The marker is where the ridge is.
  • KrackenKracken Posts: 72 Deckhand
    I don't have electric reels but a bunch of 2 speed Avets should make for tired arms!

I figured the current can be rough out there so I'd rig knocker rigs instead of a sinker then a longer leader.

Thanks!!
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 270 Deckhand
    Pulley Ridge directly from the Regs:
    The different ridges are actually a part of the same contour and bottom type. Just areas where named differently, pulley, wahoo, christmas, etc..

Tide rips very frequently out there up to 2 knots. 10, 12, 14, 16, 24 oz weights will be necessary. I make my own "deep drop" style rig with 100lb mono with dropper loops and a 2-3lb lead depending on current.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I would listen to him :Agree
    Veikx wrote: »
    The different ridges are actually a part of the same contour and bottom type. Just areas where named differently, pulley, wahoo, christmas, etc..

Tide rips very frequently out there up to 2 knots. 10, 12, 14, 16, 24 oz weights will be necessary. I make my own "deep drop" style rig with 100lb mono with dropper loops and a 2-3lb lead depending on current.

I was hoping you would reply. I saw the discussion on the Hull Truth about it that you were in. How far of a run is it out of Boca for you to get there? From what I was looking at I am thinking where I want to go is about 85 to 110 miles? Would that put me on reef?

2 or 3 pound lead...woohooo. Hate to real that up many times....Thanks for the info!!
  • Naples SpearoNaples Spearo Posts: 112 Officer
    your no where near ready. Chris is right about lead, but you will need more then 24oz. IMO you need to do some more research and figure out where your actually going, what you are after, and who what where and how to rig your stuff.....and unless you get past 350ft you mine as well fish at 60 miles.
    60 miles is about 110' to 120'. At least all my numbers in that area are.

Just because I asked some questions doesn't mean I don't have a clue. I fish offshore 1 or 2 times a week for years, weather permitting.

I've been doing my research. I know where I am going, well, I do now. Quite a big area once you get to the right depth.

I do apprecite the couple who gave some good info though. It looks like at times that current out there can be a *****.
    What are you looking to catch?? Not saying you can't do it, but coming from someone who does it on the regular, and probably more then 99% of people out there, i don't think your plan is on point yet....
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    My run to where I like fishing is 170 miles. Puts me in the 5-1000' range.

Like us on Facebook!

What are you looking to catch?? Not saying you can't do it, but coming from someone who does it on the regular, and probably more then 99% of people out there, i don't think your plan is on point yet....

Big muttons, Black Grouper, African Pompano, etc. I was figuring in the 240 to 400 foot range....Am I off target?

Would Like to get on some pelagics trolling on the way out or back in, at least have a crack at them.. They have to be there, I would think? Catch sails and wahoo, dolphin right off the reef in the keys at 160 to 300 feet sometimes.

Going out 1,000 feet is more than I want to do. I don't have electric reels.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Start seeing the Ap's in 130' and deeper. Blacks deeper than 100' and the muttons out in 180-240'.

Like us on Facebook!

wahoo are out there, but there farther the better.... you need those big ledges to push bait up against and thus attracts the pelagics, hence why they are all around the keys.... best bet for you is to go to the tortugas....sounds like it has everything you want....your not going to the ridge looking for blacks, muttons and AP
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    ive seen more people catch wahoo here off sarasota in 160-200 ft rather than "the farther the better" now big slammers and billfish 400-600 or better
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
    wahoo are out there, but there farther the better.... you need those big ledges to push bait up against and thus attracts the pelagics, hence why they are all around the keys.... best bet for you is to go to the tortugas....sounds like it has everything you want....your not going to the ridge looking for blacks, muttons and AP

Waiting on a few days of good seas and we are running to the Tortugas. Did it last year and it was Amazing!

We drove to Key West last year and left from there. I was debating on leaving from here this year via boat. 146 miles 1 way according to my chart plotting.
  • dcheek2112dcheek2112 Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    If you're fishing conventional gear there is no point in fishing outside 400 feet. Pulleys has depths down to 1200. For what you're looking to do is suggest wrecks in 120-200. For the grouper and muttons look for the natural stuff. Better have a 400+ range to even be thinking about pulleys.
  • dcheek2112dcheek2112 Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    Agree with Kyle. Tortugas. You can also run into BFTs and an occasional hoo
    And
  • snookpigsnookpig Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    there are NOAA charts that will give you some ideas. Been out 5-6 times in last 2 years. I usually fish the drop off 220-240. Mixed bag but sometimes big snapper. Occasional silkey snapper mixed with ARS. Last trip caught a 7 lb vermillion. Long way to go. pick a nice day
    snookpig wrote: »
    there are NOAA charts that will give you some ideas. Been out 5-6 times in last 2 years. I usually fish the drop off 220-240. Mixed bag but sometimes big snapper. Occasional silkey snapper mixed with ARS. Last trip caught a 7 lb vermillion. Long way to go. pick a nice day

7 pound Vermillion!! WOW!

Thanks for the info!
    Right. That is what I plan on hitting 350' and less. Anything deeper and we would just be trolling over it.

Range is conservatively 450ish