Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

boat trailer tire correct PSI question

Just got a new set of 205/75/14 Goodyear Endurance tires for my duel axle trailer. tire says max load 65psi. Sun tire store is saying run 50psi, I called goodyear and they go by a RV page and are telling me 45psi. Most boating forums i have googled say to run max psi which is 65psi. so I guess i'm a little confused. we will be pulling about 700 miles and don;t want to have any problems. Thanks for any help

Replies

• T4TunaT4Tuna Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I travel From Stuart to New Jersey and back every year which is about 1,200 mile each way. I run my pressures at 50psi with no issues the last 13 years. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,255 AG
    Just check them everytime when you stop, and feel the hubs for heat. Bring a couple of spares and a good easy to use jack.

We don't travel to the keys without a floor jack, spider for the lug nuts, jack stand, grease gun. I haven't gotten a spare hub but i may this year, everyone else seems to have them.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • CatalystCatalyst Posts: 202 Deckhand
    The rated weight capacity for the trailer tires is achieved at the max PSI. When you reduce PSI you lose capacity and the tires will get hotter and increase the risk of failure. I'm surprised goodyear told you to use anything short of max PSI. It is pretty well known in the RV world to run max PSI and check frequently. RV's are probably built closer to max capacity for the tires than boat trailers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    I run mine at 50 psi on a dual axel trailer. I was lower until the mechanic for Boat US's roadside service said I had been way too low and that 50 is what I should run (as he replaced a blown tire that he said might have failed because it got hot from being under-pressurized).
  • pk911pk911 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    the tires i run say to run them at max pressure @ 50 psi. since i started doing that i have stopped having blow outs. I hope i just did not jinx myself :)
  • LMKLMK Posts: 591 Officer
    I run mine at rated max pressure. Also carry everything including kitchen sink when I travel.
  • bandit100377bandit100377 Posts: 461 Deckhand
    Run them at max pressure or you will lose load capacity and increase chances of a blow out. Also the load range helps determine how much air and weight the tires can handle. With 65 max pressure I am guessing load range c or maybe d. As an rv'er, I can tell you that trailer tires blow due to under inflation and over loading.
  • no slackno slack Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Run them at max pressure or you will lose load capacity and increase chances of a blow out. Also the load range helps determine how much air and weight the tires can handle. With 65 max pressure I am guessing load range c or maybe d. As an rv'er, I can tell you that trailer tires blow due to under inflation and over loading.

Thanks guys yes they are D rated 8 ply. It was the only 14" tire I could find with a D load rating. I just raised them to 62psi. I noticed after pulling it home yesterday from the tire shop that the side walls were pretty hot. Thanks for the help
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 656 Officer
    Air holds the weight...tire holds the air. Max pressure lets your tires run cool which minimizes blowouts and maximizes wear.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • teamdennyteamdenny Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    23ft trailer we use 50psi
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    those tires do not know travel trailers from boat trailers or any other type trailer. max psi is on the sidewall! inflate to -- psi cold. the recommended cold tire inflation pressure is the best you can do.
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Listen to Pete (swordawet) he has a little :) experience in the transport business. I just picked up a 28 Hydra-Sports from the Keys and my trailer dealer said run them at max and nearly verbatim what Pete just said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Catalyst wrote: »
    The rated weight capacity for the trailer tires is achieved at the max PSI. When you reduce PSI you lose capacity and the tires will get hotter and increase the risk of failure. I'm surprised goodyear told you to use anything short of max PSI. It is pretty well known in the RV world to run max PSI and check frequently. RV's are probably built closer to max capacity for the tires than boat trailers.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I believe the tires are supposed to be COLD when filling them to the max. (stated on most tires)

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    My local trailer shop says 50psi for my tires. They haven't steered me wrong yet, that I know of.

My tire is rated 1,760# at 50PSI. My calculated load is 1,400# per tire. I have had no problems running 50psi to date.

Perhaps different grades of tire in a given size have different ratings? Perhaps some tires are 50psi tires & others are 65psi tires? Perhaps radial & bias ply are different?
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    swordawet wrote: »
    Air holds the weight...tire holds the air. Max pressure lets your tires run cool which minimizes blowouts and maximizes wear.
    This^^^^
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    I keep them filled to the rated max psi of the tire. I have a compressor at home so I can fill them when they are cold.

Fireman Bill
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,255 AG
    I keep them filled to the rated max psi of the tire. I have a compressor at home so I can fill them when they are cold.

Fireman Bill

same here. just a small tire/float pump, but i check them every few trips. Definitely will before the trip to Marathon
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • bandit100377bandit100377 Posts: 461 Deckhand
    no slack wrote: »
    Thanks guys yes they are D rated 8 ply. It was the only 14" tire I could find with a D load rating. I just raised them to 62psi. I noticed after pulling it home yesterday from the tire shop that the side walls were pretty hot. Thanks for the help

And if you still have problems, go to Maxxis tires.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Been putting air pressure in tires for about 40 years based on what it says on the side of the tire, like my Daddy before me, and his Daddy before him.
  • eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Especially in the summer... keep them at max pressure or we're going to see you on the side of the road with a blowout...

Some guy here a few years back called Goodyear or something like that and they told him to even go 10psi higher if you're running the tire at the max load weight.

-E