Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rising sea level study

micci_manmicci_man Senior MemberSomewhere in FLPosts: 15,001 AG
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• SloughSlough Senior Member S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,813 Admiral
    2100, don't plan on being here
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • JTRJTR Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 1,188 Officer
    Read it until I saw the words "climate change".

Look................the was a time when the earth was covered in volcanos, molten rock, air so toxic nothing lived. It was pretty hot to say the least.

There was a time when the earth was mostly covered in ice. Very little land was exposed and the sea levels were a lot lower.

There was a time when the earth was mostly covered in a dense rain forest. Enormous and abundant plant and animal life all over the planet. Most of it wiped out in a very short period of time.

The earth has and always will go through changes, some small, some evolutionary.

In all of the previous planet wide changes there was a common denominator.........................no humans.

It's not climate change...................it's nature..............and that is life on earth.
  • micci_manmicci_man Senior Member Somewhere in FLPosts: 15,001 AG
    I agree JTR
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • kgfisherkgfisher Senior Member Posts: 650 Officer
    Why is JTR's comment so hard for so many people to fathom?
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • LiveLineLiveLine Senior Member Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,098 Captain
    kgfisher wrote: »
    Why is JTR's comment so hard for so many people to fathom?

because it's reasonable and makes sense :wink
  • tapatetapate Senior Member SowegaPosts: 5,263 Admiral
    I can agree it is life. I can also believe that we are doing things to it, that aren't "natural" that an accelerate\affect the earth's climate.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Senior Member Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I read that since we raise cattle for food and milk that the excess methane gas they produce are accelerating Global Warming/Climate change at and alarming rate.
    I saw this on the internet so it has to be true.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    LiveLine wrote: »
    because it's reasonable and makes sense :wink

And it doesn't suit some people's agenda...
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Senior Member Posts: 3,218 Captain
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I read that since we raise cattle for food and milk that the excess methane gas they produce are accelerating Global Warming/Climate change at and alarming rate.
    I saw this on the internet so it has to be true.

A lot of money was spent on that study, Dew and, in fact, someone got paid to be a cow fart measurer. How about that for a slice of fried gold?
    Proverbs 13:3
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    Right...all of pollution we are putting into the atmosphere (especially china) has no effect. There is no hole in the ozone. The ice caps aren't melting and the sea isn't rising. Oh and don't forget the last 3 winters have been nice long cold winters. And if you believe in climate change, you are a liberal Hilary supporter. What dummy could possibly believe that humans are contributing to a climate that is exactly the way it was 200 years ago.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • CMBCMB Member Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Something is going on. I don't know what. But, seems like summers are hotter than they were when I was a kid. Used to, it would just rain. Now when it rains, it storms. Just think about the number of motor vehicles, roads, houses and buildings there are compared to 40 years ago. all produce heat. Seems the temperature difference in town is hotter than it is outside of town away from all the motor vehicles, asphalt, and concrete. And we don't get as much rain now a days either. just saying....
  • beer thirtybeer thirty Senior Member georgiaPosts: 131 Deckhand
    Could be due to changes in our closest star. Not a popular theory because there is no one to blame and no money to be made.
  • mplspugmplspug Senior Member Lake MaryPosts: 16,008 AG
    I am sure man has some affected the global climate, but it has to do with more than just CO2. And for those indoctrinated into "clean" energy, they rarely are willing to take personal steps on their own. And even if we had a massive effect on the climate, there is no solution less than catastrophic shut down of all the economies of the world.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    Oh and don't forget the last 3 winters have been nice long cold winters. And if you believe in climate change, you are a liberal Hilary supporter. What dummy could possibly believe that humans are contributing to a climate that is exactly the way it was 200 years ago.

Not sure where you were the last 3 winters Salty, especially this past but it surely wasn't long and cold. In my neck of the woods we had 3 frosts, 3. Mosquitos never even got knocked back.

CMB wrote: »
    Something is going on. I don't know what. But, seems like summers are hotter than they were when I was a kid. Used to, it would just rain. Now when it rains, it storms. Just think about the number of motor vehicles, roads, houses and buildings there are compared to 40 years ago. all produce heat. Seems the temperature difference in town is hotter than it is outside of town away from all the motor vehicles, asphalt, and concrete. And we don't get as much rain now a days either. just saying....

I don't know what it is either but I agree. Summer temps now are hotter/longer and Winter's are surely warmer. 40 years ago we would have cold spells that would last 3-4 weeks with on and off freezes. I can tell you coming and going to work the temps in town are 3-5* hotter than out of town per my thermometer in my truck.

Whatever it is, I'll take it over the times to come of Revelations....
  • JTRJTR Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 1,188 Officer
    It's age.

As we get older the weather, temperature etc. has more of an effect on us.

Knee start'in to stiffen up...............rain is on the way. :grin
  • hooknredshooknreds Senior Member Redfish PointPosts: 2,461 Captain
    Could be due to changes in our closest star. Not a popular theory because there is no one to blame and no money to be made.
    Woah now…that kind of talk will earn you a tin foil hat!
  • Gafftop Sail CatGafftop Sail Cat Junior Member Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Global Warming is much better for everyone than global cooling. So we have that going for us!

The Quaternary period of geologic time, the last 1.8 million years of earth history, was characterized by multiple episodes of glaciation and deglaciation resulting from extreme fluctuations in the global climate. The Quaternary is further subdivided into the Pleistocene epoch, better known as the ice ages, and the Holocene epoch, the last 10,000 years of earth history. The Holocene is the time of warm global climates associated with the ongoing interglacial time period (between major glacial episodes) and has been witness to the development of modern civilization.

Funny part is politicians in this country think they can vote to change the world’s climate to be an ideal climate.
  • beer thirtybeer thirty Senior Member georgiaPosts: 131 Deckhand
    Hooknreds I'm a proud weather denier and tin foil connoisseur. Sometimes I fish.
    micci_man wrote: »
    Not sure where you were the last 3 winters Salty, especially this past but it surely wasn't long and cold. In my neck of the woods we had 3 frosts, 3. Mosquitos never even got knocked back.

Micci, it was sarcasm
    Gotchya. Went right over my head :beer
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I have a photo of my Grandad who reared me standing in front of a railroad water tank at the train station, Old Fort, North Carolina, with ice-cycles hanging from the top all the way to the ground. The photo is dated 8 May 1904! He and the two other railroad employees in the photo were wearing overcoats and hats!

Archaeologists in north Florida have found Indian village sites several miles off-shore in water too deep to stand up in. Personally I think that modern man has done some things that have had--and will have--an influence on climate change, but I'm betting that this influence is micro-small!
  • stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Hawg Woller, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 10,168 AG
    Ive read about all the tree stumps they've found out in the Gulf out of Carrabelle. So the water must of been even a lot lower back then.
  • hooknredshooknreds Senior Member Redfish PointPosts: 2,461 Captain
    Global Warming is much better for everyone than global cooling. So we have that going for us!

The Quaternary period of geologic time, the last 1.8 million years of earth history, was characterized by multiple episodes of glaciation and deglaciation resulting from extreme fluctuations in the global climate. The Quaternary is further subdivided into the Pleistocene epoch, better known as the ice ages, and the Holocene epoch, the last 10,000 years of earth history. The Holocene is the time of warm global climates associated with the ongoing interglacial time period (between major glacial episodes) and has been witness to the development of modern civilization.

Funny part is politicians in this country think they can vote to change the world’s climate to be an ideal climate.

I don't know about your first 6 posts but #7 sure was intelligent.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,235 Captain
    More than tree stumps! Out in 60-90 feet of water all along the Gulf Coast off Panama City there are solid logs lying on the bottom to the tune of several thousand board feet per acre in places! These were residual old-growth stands of primarily Longleaf Pine (Pinus palustris) and Coastal Slash Pine (Pinus elliottii var densa) that, apparently, were fairly rapidly inundated 50-60 thousand years ago. This was discovered years ago by the Navy in developing side-scanning sonar at the Panama City Naval Facility. I wasn't involved in the discovery part, but was knowledgable of what was going on due to my Navy work.
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Trachinotus carolinusPosts: 13,466 AG
    The people of the world are not going to change their lifestyle. If modern society does have a effect on temperatures (which I am skeptical) than we just need to deal with it and we will. Like it or not we cannot save all species that cannot adapt to change. The liberals who think Darwin is a God refuse to understand adaptation in the modern world.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

I think that's the crux of the whole issue. It's fairly certain that earth's climate is warming somewhat. But the big question is what if anything people and human development have to do to with it. Since the earth has been warming and cooling its entire life it's easy to say this is just another natural cycle. It's also easy to see how some of the damaging things humans are doing to the planet COULD be contributing to the changes. What is totally unclear is if we could have any measurable effect on it if we decided to make significant change. And I don't think many people are into making significant change if it adds cost or inconvenience to their life for a very unsure outcome.

I am not a denier of the change, just a denier of the certainty of the cause.

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    Personally I agree with Woodsrunner although I probably lean towards a little more influence by us humans. How much? Nobody really knows but it can't hurt to implement common sense approaches to reducing our influence.

As for the stumps offshore, that may be the result of constantly shifting shorelines due to erosion as much as levels rising.. One shore line recedes, another shoreline extends.

Ive heard a lot about eroding shorelines, but never if a shoreline extending. Do you know of any particular shoreline that is extending? I sure can't find anything in it
  • BodineBodine Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 3,107 Captain
    Ive heard a lot about eroding shorelines, but never if a shoreline extending. Do you know of any particular shoreline that is extending? I sure can't find anything in it

The north end of Siesta Key is growing, the sand is coming from Lido Beach.
    F the feds
  • omegafooomegafoo Senior Member Posts: 3,127 Captain
    hooknreds wrote: »
    I don't know about your first 6 posts but #7 sure was intelligent.

Boy do I agree! We don't know squat but think we know it all. There is a lot of money to be made in scare tactics and fear mongering and folks have figured that out! I, like ferris, feel that we have had some impact but I don't think it's as much as the fear mongers want us to believe, but we cannot quantify it either.