Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

4-29 BBI Yellowfin Tuna

Started the morning off live bait fishing with goggle eyes. Had a kite up with three baits and 4 flat lines with various weight.

To recap we had 2 sails on he flat lines with stinger rigs but broke off both. A kingfish about 20 pounds on a deep bait and another small kingfish. A dolphin about 12 lbs on the kite and another about 7 pounds on the flat line with weight

Also had a red grouper on a weighted flat line with wire and trebles, would have been in the box if it were may 1st.

Also had 2 sails ok the kite and got one up to the boat.

The bite was very quick lasted about an hour and a half and in between all the chaos my brother throws out a gog on a spinning rod with 30 fluoro, with Tuna in mind, but we did not expect what we were going to get. Just as he sets the bait it feels heavy so he reels and hooks up but it doesn't take off right away, took a few runs but nothing crazy. Get the fish straight up and down and we see it's a tuna, when it broke the surface we realized it was a yellowfin and I planted the gaff in him.

When the bite slowed down we decided to hit the wreck and it wasn't pretty. Dropped the 50w with 100 lb braid and 80 lb leader. Broke off two beast amberjacks in the wreck and then hooked two smaller ones in the 15-20 lb range that were not fighting hard and were very landable but within 30 seconds the sharks got to them.

Overall good bite and successful day

Replies

• e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    That's epic dude. Tight work on local YFT
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    I may be wrong but it seems that more and more YFT are being caught off of the SE coast. I am hoping it is a slight shift in their migration patterns. It would be awesome if they become a regular catch.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    conchydong wrote: »
    I may be wrong but it seems that more and more YFT are being caught off of the SE coast. I am hoping it is a slight shift in their migration patterns. It would be awesome if they become a regular catch.

:Agree :grin

Pura Vida!
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Wow, nice day's work & a nice haul.

A lot of the AJs on the wrecks around here are full of worms. If you get a sluggish one, chances are he's a worm factory. In that case, let the tax man have him.

If you are hooking into the beasts on the wrecks, & you have heavy tackle, you might want to try locking down the drag with the rod in a strong rod holder & use the boat to drag him out away from the wreck a few hundred yards, then fight him as you normally would.

That's great news about finding the yellow fins around here. Thanks for posting that.
  • Andre cancillaAndre cancilla Posts: 103 Deckhand
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    Wow, nice day's work & a nice haul.

A lot of the AJs on the wrecks around here are full of worms. If you get a sluggish one, chances are he's a worm factory. In that case, let the tax man have him.

If you are hooking into the beasts on the wrecks, & you have heavy tackle, you might want to try locking down the drag with the rod in a strong rod holder & use the boat to drag him out away from the wreck a few hundred yards, then fight him as you normally would.

That's great news about finding the yellow fins around here. Thanks for posting that.

I do think not driving away was the mistake, for the bigger ones but I'm not sure if that would have helped the sharks getting to them
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Pulling them away from the structure with the boat helps keep you from getting broken off when they run into the structure to wrap you up. That doesn't help with the sharks.

Sometimes letting them run from the sharks, then following them with the boat helps to avoid the sharks, but you need to run a long way for that to work. I've had the sharks catch up nearly a mile away in the past.
  • taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 715 Officer
    Yellowfin usually deeeeeep (in the rare chance they're even here) around here or in where the blackfin are?
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Great work on the YFT!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Andre cancillaAndre cancilla Posts: 103 Deckhand
    taymag wrote: »
    Yellowfin usually deeeeeep (in the rare chance they're even here) around here or in where the blackfin are?
    Caught in 160 feet, most of the ones being caught too aren't so deep as well
  • taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 715 Officer
    Caught in 160 feet, most of the ones being caught too aren't so deep as well

****.. 160 in Boynton is like a baseball throw from shore lol thats good news
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Awesome catch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AFT561AFT561 Posts: 59 Deckhand
  • IslandiaIslandia Posts: 162 Deckhand
    I agree we have been fishing Eleuthra, since the late 70's with live bait..
    The the last best time I can remember was back in 2006 where there was not eneough holds in our 31 contender to stuff the fish.

It has been tough going the 5+ years but I do keep seeing quite a few YF being caught off Lycaya