Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

PC 4-26-17 Blunders ruled... but still a great day.

Took the day off sort of and took a coworker fishing since reports of mahi were so prevalent. Launched at 6:45 and headed east looking for something fishy. Reports said anywhere from 120' on so we stopped at 125' and put lines out and headed east. Water temp was 78-79 from there until about 250'. We had 4 knock downs with nothing to show. No rhyme or reason as every line out was hit with skirted, naked surface and planer lines out. Weeds were sporadic and scattered until about 300'. Found boats working a somewhat formed weed line and we started trolling south-southeast with almost immediate action. The weed line got better defined the longer we worked it and it went on forever. Action every 15-30 minutes. First fish on was a nice gaffer but my gaffing skills missed the mark and the fish jumped and I nicked the line breaking it off. Next fish was a chicken which was boated easily. Lost another gaffer about 10 feet from the boat with the line breaking at the terminal tackle and lost the rig and fish. Threw the next dolphin back which was a peanut to grow a bit for another day... While trying to clean a weed from our blue/green rig we had a huge bull grab ahold. No BS, it was the largest fish I have ever hooked. It came up straight out of the water and easily would have been up to my chin. Never really made up any ground on it and after 25 minutes the line went limp to reel back a broken line at the knot at the terminal tackle. Several short strikes later and one other boated chicken, we decided to head in. The north wind never quit so we continued to troll west until the winds died down. Good decision as we managed to boat a decent cow in about 250 ft. The seas laid down for the ride in.... Great day on the water.

Water temps pretty much stayed roughly 79 degrees where we were all day. We ran blue/white, pink/blue, green/blue, red/black and naked hoos both on the surface and on the planer. All but the red/black had action.

Was curious about the two lost fish. I don't typically retie my terminal tackle but looking at the line after the fact, the first few feet looked hazy and seemed brittle compared to the line a few feet down toward the reel on the rods. Does it make sense to cut off a few feet of line each trip and retie the clasps? I have never had a problem in the past but today it seemed to have an impact.
Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Suzuki DF250 APX

Replies

• My TurnMy Turn Posts: 72 Deckhand
    FWIW I run braid with about 30 ft of mono top shot on all my rods both troll and bottom. Every one that goes in the water gets top shot replaced every trip. Everything gets re tied. Pretty anal I know but I am retired and have the time. Very very rare that I break a leader or pull a knot. Almost never.
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 510 Officer
    You should replace the top shot/wind-on terminal leader every so-often. Over time the mono gets worn, and the knots get weaker. Same applies to Flurocarbon. Fishing tackle needs constant attention. When my gear is going to be sitting for a while I wind everything in so i don't get a kink in the leader/topshot from where it'd usually be bent over the rod-tip. If I'm trolling a lot, i generally take a foot off the top-shot after each trip just to be safe.
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Sounds like a fun day. Great report.

It makes me sick to lose a fish to my screw up...missing with the gaff, poor crimp job, parted knot, etc. Like the other guys, I try to be diligent about cutting out any suspect line, and I'm pretty anal about knots and crimps looking just so. "If in doubt, cut it out."
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Was curious about the two lost fish. I don't typically retie my terminal tackle but looking at the line after the fact, the first few feet looked hazy and seemed brittle compared to the line a few feet down toward the reel on the rods. Does it make sense to cut off a few feet of line each trip and retie the clasps? I have never had a problem in the past but today it seemed to have an impact.

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned this a few times before... Monofiliment...is in its basic form...is nothing more than extruded plastic (nylon).
    As such, it has several properties to keep in mind. One of the biggest is that it has a certain amount of stretch...which in some cases is good...BUT...It also means that after a bit of this cycling ( stretching )...it loses strength... This is much more pronounced on lighter test lines that I use ( 8 mono )
    After a while...it becomes brittle and less able to accept the "shock loading" of a fish's strike...

Also, The cloudiness...could be due to UV light exposure...which is a line killer also.

Anyway, even cheap wal mart line fresh...is better than old line.... Time to respool!
    If money is an issue...strip off half the spool....and do a very good and slick knot to join the new to old.

PS... All terminal end gear should be retied every trip...... Knots need to be done patiently and correct.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Great report. I re do all my nots. On my bottom snap swivels at least every other trip.