Naples Fishing

kramer9552kramer9552 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Hi Guys,

New here. I'm a big time angler from IL coming down to Naples for vacation and want to fish when I'm down there. Coming down next month, May, and will be staying on the Gordon river. What fish are in the Gordon river and what lures work? Live bait? Also, any other areas to fish. Going to try and fish some saltwater as well. Any place in Naples for peacock bass? Thanks guys!

Replies

• backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Well I am the last guy who should comment on fishing (except for my mastery of sailcats and 10" snappers) but I dont hear anything about fishing the Gordon river unless its near the mouth of the pass. No knowledge of peacock bass.
  • cobia256cobia256 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    So a lot depends on how far up the river you are staying. Redfish and snook can be found, but for the most part your will be catching a lot of sailcats. My recommendation would be to get a half day charter especially being so close to some of the best hidden back country fishing out there.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I find a lot of 10-30# Tarpon in the Gordon that time of year..... DOA shrimp........
  • kramer9552kramer9552 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    This may sound stupid..but when you say snapper do you mean turtles or fish? Also, I've been doing research for lures and I keep seeing jerkbaits and topwater do well. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,096 Officer
    Snapper is a fish. Mangrove Snapper.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Does toowatwr and jerkbaits work well?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,786 AG
    kramer9552 wrote: »
    Does topwater and jerkbaits work well?

Yes...almost all your bass lures from up north will catch Snook, Reds and Trout.

Texas rigged jerk baits are money in the bank. Weighted and unweighted...
    Start your day (pre dawn to 30 - hour after and sunset till 45 after sunset ) with some topwater...spooks /chug bug / skitterwalk...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Will you have a boat?... If not...consider a Kayak rental for your time here...your catch rate will skyrocket....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Any cheap boat rentals in Naples that you guys know of? I keep hearing live shrimp work great.
  • mro1mro1 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Florida guides are among the best there is (my opinion :))
    You will be not far from Marco/10K islands.
    Best chance for memories of a lifetime since you do not live there.

Mike
  • mro1mro1 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Baby ****
    Picture006.jpg
    kramer9552 wrote: »
    I keep hearing live shrimp work great.

Yeah..Mostly for little dink Trout and other crap you don't want to catch.....

Think like you would for big bass...up size the lure.
    If you want to use bait...a cast net for live mullet or hook & line tiny pieces of shrimp on a small gold hook for pins and pigs
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Thanks for all the help! Are there any good ponds or canals for bass fishing in Naples? I'd like to catch a big Florida bass!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,096 Officer
    Golden Gate Canal. It flows into the Gordon River from the east. The canal has largemouth bass, peacock bass, as well as snook and tarpon, and of course pan fish. Any freshwater canals and ponds have bass. Some of them can be accessed on Santa Barbara Blvd. near the south end. There is a county park off Santa Barbara where it over passes I-75 where you can access Golden Gate Canal at the boat ramp. There are fresh water canals all over the Golden Gate area.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Often see people fishing 20' off of Airport Pulling rd between Golden Gate and Pine Ridge.