Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

flairhawk haulover

Hey guys so im trying to fish haulover at night for tarpon, would flair hawking be an effective tactic? Iv never fished there so any advice is helpful.

Replies

• on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    Your thought process is good but technique is off. Go lighter with the jig weight. Your gonna wanna keep the jig up off the bottom. Same slow steady retrieve but just up higher in the water column. Try an all white chicken feather jig.
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 266 Deckhand
    on deck wrote: »
    Your thought process is good but technique is off. Go lighter with the jig weight. Your gonna wanna keep the jig up off the bottom. Same slow steady retrieve but just up higher in the water column. Try an all white chicken feather jig.

So are you saying go with a lighter flair hawk or skip them completly and go with something else? I have hogys and live target mullets ready to go but ima look for a white chicken jig
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    It will work, but you'll get more snook. Bring abunch because haulover is extremely sticky, and you WILL lose a few every time you're out there.

I really like the big bomber windcheater for out there.
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I grew up fishing Haulover cut back in the 70's-80's and used flairhawk type and millie type jigs to catch a lot of big snook and tarpons. We fished from shore (under the bridge on south side and at the jetty) using 2 or 3 oz jigs with 8" glow worms on 30 lb. gear. We always fished deep down along the shadow line. If you are not getting caught on the bottom once in a while then you are not fishing deep enough.