Home Conservation Front

Amendment 28 (red snapper reallocation) lawsuit ruling

2»

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Soda and toomer hit the nail on the head. If I can't keep it, they can't sell it. Plain and simple. It really doesn't make that much sense to tell people they can't harvest something, citing stock levels as a reason, then see that same fish being caught by people in the same area to be sold to people, most of whom will never fish.

Feeding the masses on a natural resource doesn't work. In fact we figured this out thousands of years ago, it's called agriculture.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • toomertoomer Posts: 345 Deckhand
    But I never hear from the comms when I make that argument (except A#1. Can always count on him!).
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Soda and toomer hit the nail on the head. If I can't keep it, they can't sell it. Plain and simple. It really doesn't make that much sense to tell people they can't harvest something, citing stock levels as a reason, then see that same fish being caught by people in the same area to be sold to people, most of whom will never fish.

Feeding the masses on a natural resource doesn't work. In fact we figured this out thousands of years ago, it's called agriculture.

it ain't stock levels buckwheat, if you followed the process you'd know that, if you didn't you're just talking out your ****.
    Lack of accountability is the rec problem.

The commercials had closed months (I remember four 10 day openings on ARS per year) before catch shares while y'all fished 24/7, 365..

Now the commercials are pigeon-holed into a nice neat little box (some got thrown out the box and the fishery) and can fish at their leisure based on their historical catch instead of a derby style fishery, but most of y'all know that and just want to **** and moan.

Accountability is the game and it's your turn in the hole, ain't my fault and I feel bad for most of y'all.. Most, the ones like you RT, I'd just as soon you get banned off the water.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    toomer wrote: »
    Look, I am not one of those sustainably sourced, non-GMO kind of zealots. Been around agriculture all my life. Grew up knowing commercial fishermen who were family friends. Fished recreationally and still do.

But there is one thing that just frosts me: folks are allowed to buy and eat fish that I am not allowed to catch and eat. Yes, I know it may be legal, but to me it just is not right.
    you have seasons, the commercials had season but now have catch shares.
    Nothing has changed as far as allocation.

What has changed is how the feds count your fish, that's your problem to deal with, not mine.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Still doesn't make sense A1. I don't have a disdain for commercial fisherman, some in my family are commercial guys in Louisiana. I do think it's "wrong" when a guy on a bank can keep hundreds of pounds of shrimp while I have to quit at 25lbs. These guys stand next to me on the bank and just take take take. That's the part of it that aggravates most people. Those guys are just making a living bc people with money want to pay them $10 a pound for them. It just baffles my head if there isn't enough to go around, why we need to feed all the people who don't want to go fishing. And apparently there isn't enough because I have to stop.....same goes for the fishing.

I think you took my comment that commercial fishing is evil, which it's not an evil.

But why are there catch shares in place at all? We shouldn't need them. Commercial and rec should be able to keep 2 per day year round if there is no shortage of the fish.

As for accountability, not sure what you mean. I've kept 2 red snapper in 6 years and a dozen or so in the last 15 years. I see fish for sale in restaurants and fish markets with product of USA on them, and I am prohibited from going and catching it myself.

I've been following this for years but I know the answers to my questions, but the ones given do not make sense.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    you have seasons, the commercials had season but now have catch shares.
    Nothing has changed as far as allocation.

What has changed is how the feds count your fish, that's your problem to deal with, not mine.
    Why do you think it's a you versus everyone else? The derby mentality they are creating is pitting everyone against each other. Small seasons, quotas, etc. It's all crazy. All for an abundant resource that is so plentiful we can commercially fish for it.

The Feds math is a huge problem bc every hooked fish equals a dead fish to them.

Reel Teal wrote: »
    Why do you think it's a you versus everyone else?

Because you and many like you make it that way, been that way since the net ban.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    Because you and many like you make it that way, been that way since the net ban.

My first post in this thread was stating that i didn't know or claim to know all the ins and outs of commercial vs rec fishing. And I wanted to before I started all the name calling and hate mongering.

But after reading everything I still do not understand why i can't go catch a fish myself but i can go to publix and buy that same fish. To me that makes zero sense. And the reason I am being given is that the fish are overfished? That does not make any sense to me.

I do not see the difference between snapper and grouper when it comes to accountability either, I can go during the season and catch and keep Gag grouper, and I can abide by the bag limit, but for some reason if i were allowed a limit on red snapper I would become more greedy and keep more fish illegally? Why is there suddenly a moral distinction between red snapper and gag grouper?
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    Didn't have a dog in the fight for the net ban. How has the fishing been since? Is it better or worse? How's business, better or worse?

Actually ME and FEW like ME think you and I should be able to keep the fish side by side, day in day out. There's plenty for us all. What's with the regulation? Why season versus catch share?

It's when we have to allocate a catch, implying there is not enough, when things gets tricky bc that is saying there isn't enough for us all and we need to make sure everyone gets their share....even with the rampant poaching that goes on there is still plenty.

If you are scorned and feel the way it is now justifies something, that's a valid reason. I just don't see you being in favor of all this regulatory nonsense.

I could say it was you and many like you that have overfished certain fish, which is fact. Youll fire back about what recreational anglers did to muck it up as well. But that doesn't fix any problem it just makes us argue while someone's pockets get stuffed.

• ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    it ain't stock levels buckwheat, if you followed the process you'd know that, if you didn't you're just talking out your ****.
    Lack of accountability is the rec problem.

The commercials had closed months (I remember four 10 day openings on ARS per year) before catch shares while y'all fished 24/7, 365..

Now the commercials are pigeon-holed into a nice neat little box (some got thrown out the box and the fishery) and can fish at their leisure based on their historical catch instead of a derby style fishery, but most of y'all know that and just want to **** and moan.

Accountability is the game and it's your turn in the hole, ain't my fault and I feel bad for most of y'all.. Most, the ones like you RT, I'd just as soon you get banned off the water.

Kind of the price you pay to fish stocks that belong to all of us equally.
    Kind of the price you pay to fish stocks that belong to all of us equally.
    including the people that don't fish or live near the water.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,873 Captain
    Yes I always hear they have to be harvested for grandma Ida in Idaho.

Yet they wind up on the table of grandpa Li **** Zhang in Hangzhou.:hairraiser
    Yes I always hear they have to be harvested for grandma Ida in Idaho.

Yet they wind up on the table of grandpa Li **** Zhang in Hangzhou.:hairraiser
    maybe, maybe not.
    Wish them folk would buy our stone crabs like they buy the spiny's..
    I'd retire in a couple of years.

A rich man.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,873 Captain
    maybe?????..........maybe you shoulda invested mo of dat net mullet money.:grin
    maybe?????..........maybe you shoulda invested mo of dat net mullet money.:grin
    I did, but it was just a fraction of what my nets were worth...

Maybe 100k total?