Spring Livebait Fishing (Near Shore, Inshore)

amatueramatuer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
Hi everyone, I've bought a custom 7' cast net some months ago and I've never used it yet. I couldn't get it in time for the mullet run of 2016 but I've been really wanting to use it. Can anyone tell me what bait usually comes by around april/may? Or should I just wait for the next mullet run? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention where my area, I'm located in Palm Bay, Florida.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,608 Captain
    Mullet are there all year, you could throw some fish scraps in the water around structure. Wait 5 min and throw, usually gets some pinfish. Just off the beach you will find pogies, threadfins etc. But that net probably isn't suited for those. Where are you mainly throwing? From boat or shore?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • amatueramatuer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Mullet are there all year, you could throw some fish scraps in the water around structure. Wait 5 min and throw, usually gets some pinfish. Just off the beach you will find pogies, threadfins etc. But that net probably isn't suited for those. Where are you mainly throwing? From boat or shore?

I'm mainly throwing from shore, I wade in the water till I'm about waist deep. I occasionally see people catching mullet but they're the big slob mullet, about 9-12 inches. The net's mesh is 3/8 of an inch I believe.
    I find the smaller mullet, under 6in, are closer to shore in shin to knee deep water, though I usually got them a little farther North of you.

• amatueramatuer Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    I find the smaller mullet, under 6in, are closer to shore in shin to knee deep water, though I usually got them a little farther North of you.

Gotcha, good to know they're still obtainable, I'll try different places today. Thanks for helping me.
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    If you want finger and pinky mullet, don't look on the beach. Look in the back waters. Hard to find any public land on which to park for this, but it's worth the look when you find them.
    X2 to what sizuper said. I kinda thought that's where you were talking about when you said wading from shore, on the inside...