I need to catch a crappie!!

They have eluded me. I just need to catch one to cross it off my list. Im taking a trip to fort lauderdale from brooksville. Is there anywhere just off 75, turnpike or 27 i got a good chance of getting one from shore?

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Alligator alley (75) has them.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    where u located? Ill try help
  • superfluke82superfluke82 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    where u located? Ill try help

Im leaving tomorrow from fort lauderdale and heading back to brooksville. I may take up 27 or the turnpike. 75 is out due to brush fire
  • gnappignappi Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Bummer too late to catch you. The Arboretum in Deerfield has a bunch of them. Catch em on flies, worm, just about anything you can throw in the creek, or is it crick?

For that matter are they crappie, croppie, bream, brim, sunfish, or bluegills? :-)
    Regards,

Gary
  • superfluke82superfluke82 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    gnappi wrote: »
    Bummer too late to catch you. The Arboretum in Deerfield has a bunch of them. Catch em on flies, worm, just about anything you can throw in the creek, or is it crick?

For that matter are they crappie, croppie, bream, brim, sunfish, or bluegills? :-)

wish i would of known that. lol
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    gnappi wrote: »

Specks...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • thatredneckguyjamiethatredneckguyjamie Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Crappie? that's them Yankee fish right :)
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,417 Officer
    We used to call them croppie in CA, crappie in GA and specks here in FL. They are not bream, bluegills, brim or sunfish.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    lake marian, kenansville
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    I'm 71 and have been fishing salt and fresh all of my life. I'm from Jacksonville, Florida and had never caught a Crappie in Florida though I caught hundreds of them in Virginia and Missouri during my travels. This past year I decided to make an all out effort to cross this off my bucket list. I checked around and found that the Fitzhugh Carter Tract in Washington county has five fishable lakes, all with good crappie populations and the FWC furnishes boats, life jackets, and oars at no cost. Must have gone at least 10 trips starting in June 2016, caught lots of bluegills, but no crappie. The folks manning the check in station told me that the crappie were usually biting Dec thru April. I started taking my Kayak and determined to catch a crappie started going after them using small jigs.
    I finally caught five nice ones one day in Dec and have since caught a total of 25 with three undersize. Size limit at Fitzhugh Carter is 10 inches and most of the fish I caught were from 11 to 13 inches. A 10 inch crappie is a good size fish and definitely a meal for one. I caught two yesterday. From my experience it looks like they are pretty hard to locate and catch during the summer months. The best bait seems to be live minnows, but I wanted to use lures and was successful.

Tight Lines, FLCoyote