Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weekend out of Marco

Saturday morning started out off marco pass throwing yozuri pin diver off the rocks (trying to match the small bait around). Hooked up on a couple smallish snook and usual ladyfish. Tried for pompano in the same area but pretty slow. Ran ~2 miles offshore to find some leftover sheepshead, no sheeps but managed a few nice snapper and a few barley legal Lanes. Had a decent size hammerhead that kept circling the boat and couldn't stand it anymore so pitched a blue runner at him right at the transom and he took it right away. Pulled the hook after about 5 mins. Figured we set the hook to fast since he was almost touching the motor when he ate it. Ran a few traps for tripple tail, nothing. Anyone seeing any?

Sunday to the Marco river for quick morning trip looking for current in the slow tides throwing plugs. Managed a couple 20-25" snook and couple big snapper. Unfortunately, had two infamous "two second zing snaps" on big fish in the magroves without giving me the chance to turn them. Better luck next weekend...

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,218 Officer
    Good report. Better luck on those big ones next week.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,543 Captain
    Good report....... I did go out about 5 miles and ran some traps but not a single triple tail to be found.
    Jason :USA
  • tg.tg. Posts: 136 Deckhand
    I have been having trouble finding nasty enough trap floats. 2 weeks ago they were farther south. I think they have been "serviced" recently and I think that knocks off the good slime.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Get yourself some 50# Floro and reduce the breakoffs. Sometimes nothing will work,but when fishing the docks I lost a couple of lures real fast and changed up the gear and stopped those guys in their tracks. You also may want a MH rod with some good backbone . Good luck next time.
  • FinheadFinhead Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    TG, that may have been some of the issue off Marco as well. 95 out of 100 traps were clean around Marco within the 3 mi mark (or at least the ones I went by). We always seem to do better running the weedy strings. Noticed they seem alot less spooky when they have a clump of trash to hide there head behind.

Polliwog,

Ya I was using 30# with 15lb PP.