Home General Fishing

Wanting to learn to fish intercoastal

dns80dns80 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
I want to learn how to fish the intercoastal like over around Mosquito Lagoon or over on the way out to Cocoa. Anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,290 AG
    what are you going to be fishing for? What are you going to be fishing on? What kind of gear do you have? How well do you know the area?
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • dns80dns80 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I will be wading, no boat or anything like that for now. In the process of looking for a kayak but for now will be standing/wading. I've got a couple rods and reels. Nothing too crazy, just some stuff I bought from **** that the guy at the counter said would be good for intercoastal/saltwater.
    ok, i would head over to the angler on foot section and start searching old threads on that area. Probably a lot of good information but mining it is the quickest way to get what you need.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    dns80 wrote: »
    some stuff I bought from **** that the guy at the counter said would be good for intercoastal/saltwater.

Well...there is the first mistake....thinking the guy at **** knows jack squat. :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    Not sure what the guy at **** told you, but a good lower cost, but reliable setup in the inter coastal would be a Penn Fierce 2 spinning reel, and an Ugly Stik Inshore spinning rod.

I would base the reel and rod size on the type of fish you are generally seeking.

The rod and reel I mentioned, have Proven Reliability and durability, and you don't have to spend a lot on them. Then get the appropriate lb. test Power Pro. Hope this helps a little .
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    I'll send you a message with links.

Captain Todd Approves

• trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    I would go(Merritt Island) off south tropical trail just north of pineda causeway, find an area on the east side of the road you can pull off(some areas are soft shoulder) and wade that shoreline fishing the docks and flats. If the water is calm you should see some fish or just blind cast...sadly not much grass anymore so a lightweight jig or spoon would be good!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Well...there is the first mistake....thinking the guy at **** knows jack squat. :rotflmao

He talked my wife into a battle II 3000 and powerpro 30 for a Christmas gift. Can't say I was disappointed.
    Battle 3000 sounds Perfect! As well as the 30lb. PP.
    no complaints here. Had gags, mangos, sheepies on it so far. Going to go after small sharks, kings, cobes, and macks too. Pretty good all around combo IMHO.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,979 AG
    He talked my wife into a battle II 3000 and powerpro 30 for a Christmas gift. Can't say I was disappointed.

Nice. I have 4 on ugly sticks and am very happy with them.

Bet the guy at **** knew better than to shoot himself in the leg with his own gun. :grin

There are better reels...for the same money.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Resinhead wrote: »
    Nice. I have 4 on ugly sticks and am very happy with them.

Buying an ugly stick..shows you are a highly skilled angler....and I am sure with your obvious skill set...you are happy...overjoyed most likely. :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I am. I fish with my kids and their friends. Ugly sticks work well for them and take the beating the kids give them.

At least we don't have to pick through the dollar bin at Wally World for our lures. :wink

How's the leg? :rotflmao
    Ugly Stiks might not be the most glamorous choice, but they DO get the job done, and you don't have to worry about replacing them unless you shove it down the throat of a 300lb. Bull shark!��
    I am. I fish with my kids and their friends. Ugly sticks work well for them and take the beating the kids give them.

At least we don't have to pick through the dollar bin at Wally World for our lures. :wink

How's the leg? :rotflmao

Hmm, If your kids have your personality...I doubt they have any friends....:grin

Leg...is great.... the money...was better. No picking thru any bins for me...cash flow baby!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    There are better reels...for the same money.

this was a combo. And we had been through 4-5 of those cheap Diawa combos that **** sells for $30 and i was tired of it. I know basspro makes angler which is basically a generic Penn. But i wanted to get something and not worry about gear for 4-5 years. I think we're there finally. I still want other gear, but don't NEED other gear. We've got 2 good casting setups and 2 decent trolling/deep dropping setups.
    Yeah... those Wally World Calico Jack rods scream cash flow.
    And Yes, on the Calico Jack....... a fishin' stick...is just...a stick. :)

:rotflmao
    Yeah... those Wally World Calico Jack rods scream cash flow.

:rotflmao

Calico Jack > Ugly stik .....

PS....Why you on a computer at 9 AM on a nice Saturday? Shouldn't you be out bendin' those ugly stix? :huh
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    this was a combo. And we had been through 4-5 of those cheap Diawa combos that **** sells for $30 and i was tired of it. I know basspro makes angler which is basically a generic Penn. But i wanted to get something and not worry about gear for 4-5 years. I think we're there finally. I still want other gear, but don't NEED other gear. We've got 2 good casting setups and 2 decent trolling/deep dropping setups.

Fair enough....

I actually took two new in box battle II's back to the store after reading the review on the new BG's.... same money but a nicer reel.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    You gotta start walking/wading and don't stop. It's mostly water time OP. Cast every dock and keep going. A million youtube vids out there too.
  • dns80dns80 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for everyone's info and help.