Home General Fishing

Cobia following sharks?

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
I've seen in a good number of videos now that cobia will follow bull sharks around. I believe to get the scraps leftover by the sharks.

Do the cobia risk being eaten themselves by following so close to these sharks?

Thanks!

Ray

Replies

• mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    I have fished for cobia off the backs of the bullsharks, both with jigs and fly, and never had an issue with a hooked up fish being eaten. IT's kind of crazy, actually. You hook a cobe, maybe 20 or 25 pounds, and it runs through the sharks and over them and all around, but they never make a move for it. I have, however, had a bull shark come grab the butterflied bonito I had hanging from the transom to attract them. If you let that bonito get too far back (like 2 feet) they'll come grab it and then you have to figure out how to cut a 1-inch nylon rope with a shark thrashing on the other end...
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    Mikenav, thanks for the great reply! That is definitely crazy. I can't imagine a hooked fish zipping back and forth between sharks not getting bit in half or anything. I don't know if bull sharks have different feeding habits than other sharks or what.

Having to cut that rope with the shark so close sounds pretty scary.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    They dont bother the cobes not hooked but once they are hooked they will go for them. A guy in Stewart went 0 for 5 yesterday. The sharks took all five cobes. Last year on a shrimp boat I had a bull going for my cobe which was jumping. I did a trick I have read about and it worked. I opened the bail and let the cobe run just as a shark was about to take it. The cobe took off and the bull shark freeked out and ran away.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Barrell wrote: »
    They dont bother the cobes not hooked but once they are hooked they will go for them. A guy in Stewart went 0 for 5 yesterday. The sharks took all five cobes.
    fishing for cobes on sharks is irresponsible for that reason, same with people trying to spear fish the fish SMH
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    Well, I'm definitely learning a lot more about these fish that I didn't know. Thanks guys!

Barrell,

That was a pretty sweet trick, to let it get out of the way of that shark!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Cobia are big dumb fish. They will follow anything. Sharks, rays, manatees, even boats.

But they are way too fast, when healthy, to get caught by sharks, that typically feed on the sick, old, or weak.
    ������ Thankyou Tarponator!