Recommended Marinas for a wheelchair user

I use a wheelchair and will be trailering my boat to the keys in early April. I'm looking for Marina suggestions where I can dock/board the boat from port/starboard side because/stern bow boarding involves more risk. I also need storage for my trailer and a parking spot for my truck A marina with floating docks would be a big plus, I would also consider tying up behind your house if you have open dock space for a 28 foot boat.

Thanks

Dave-aka "CRIPL"

Replies

• JimmypicklesJimmypickles Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Hi, I meant to get to you earlier but had to find my password. I asked the same questions several years ago and got crickets. not because nobody care but because they just don't understand the needs. I am also a wheelchair user with their own boat. I highly recommend you keep your boat at Pennekamp State park. They are outstanding with helping the disabled. You can leave your boat at their floating dock marina (as well as your trailer) for the cost of camping at the park, about $17 a day. the staff is super nice and is always there to help with boarding/docking. I have stayed as far away as Ocean Pointe in Tavernier and kept my boat at Pennekamp.

There is another option but I haven't stayed at this place. it is the hotel next to Snapper's restaurant. very nice place, very nice floating docks. I have been going to the Keys for years. I also have information about the Tampa Bay area, if you want. Feel free to call me @ 262-366-4281 if you want more details. I would hate for someone to recreate the wheel on Keys accessibility.

Mike
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 436 Deckhand
    It would kind of be helpful to know roughly where you will be staying to narrow things down as the Keys are long. If you are staying in Key West or the lower Keys, I'd be happy to check out a couple of local marinas for you to get specifics on what is available. [email protected].
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/