Home General Fishing

2017 Diawa BG?

SammyTSammyT Posts: 85 Greenhorn
Anyone have first had experience with the new BG? I grew up on them and they were the best money could but for an average guy. I really like the stradic FJ series, but the 8000's are almost impossible the get. Looking for a new route that doesn't require me to buy the mildly expensive Saragossa. Although I have 2... they are just too much to outfit an entire boat for average joe. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,050 Moderator
    Great reels at a very reasonable price

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
  • gatorsaintgatorsaint Posts: 186 Deckhand
    I bought a 2500 a few weeks ago and fished with it Saturday for the first time. It's smooth and cast well. The drag seemed good, only caught a few mid slot reds so it didn't get tested too much. I also like the Stradic FJ and have 3 3000's, but the BG seems like a good reel for the price.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I have a 4500 & it's probably the nicest ~$125 reel I've ever seen...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    Yea, they are definitely nice for the price. Have a 2500 and 4000. Haven't used the 4000 too much, but have caught all types of stuff on the 2500. So far, so good.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 206 Deckhand
    Can't be beaten for cost .. they've started catching some big fish with them in the Caribbean .. and some decent tuna in west coast
  • jamesbayjamesbay Posts: 41 Deckhand
    i would defiantly take the time to read the allan hawk review as he is extremely knowledgeable. but i would also look at a spheros as they are pretty much the same as a gosa and still better than a bg. not to mention on ebay you can get one for like only 50$ more than a bg.
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I purchased a BG 5000 a month ago. Only used it once so far and it performed well. The one thing that becomes very apparent when you put your hands on one is their size. The 5000 BG is the same size as most 8000 series reels from other manufactures if not bigger. Oddly enough I had this conversation with a buddy last night. As an example the 5000 BG holds 480 yards of 40lb braided line. The Shimano Spheros & Saragosa 8000 hold 340 yards of 40lb braid. Not real sure why Diawa does this but the old BG where the same way. I still have an old 30 that I would regularly catch AJ's up to 40lbs with. That reel even holds my larges Cobia record of 85lbs.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Agreed with tailwaters... the 5000 is the same size as Shimano 8000's... but it's a **** nice reel.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 283 Deckhand
    I got a 3000 size last month and only used it a few times but I like it. Put it on a light rod for throwing artis and live bait inshore and then put it on a little heavier rod for snapper fishing in Keys last week. Smooth, light with good drag. Performed well but time will tell.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    Recently got the 3500, real nice real so far. Caught a 39" cobia with it last week no issue. yet
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I just got done giving the 5000 I purchased a month ago a proper workout. Hooked up with several AJ's in the 40lb class and the reel did great. Smooth drag with plenty of cranking power. A buddy that was on the boat with me had a 6500. Man that thing is big! He put his on a Heavy jigging rod for grouper and didn't get rocked up once. The reel is able to pick up 48" of line per crank which really helped getting those fish off the bottom. I like to have a reel for a least a year before deciding if I like them or not but so far they seam like decent reels.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    RedRich wrote: »
    I got a 3000 size last month and only used it a few times but I like it. Put it on a light rod for throwing artis and live bait inshore and then put it on a little heavier rod for snapper fishing in Keys last week. Smooth, light with good drag. Performed well but time will tell.

I love a reel that can serve multiple uses, now put that thing on a 12' and get a pomp LOL...my spinfishers get abused in that regard
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!