Home Tropics

Phone And Data Plans - Bahamas

MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
Out our previous trips we only stayed for a couple of weeks so either used the WiFi when ashore or paid as we went.

For our upcoming three month trip I want to work out if it is best to expand my AT&T coverage to the Bahamas at the costs below or to go ahead and buy a SIM from BaTelCo for my unlocked GSM phone. I want phone and data.

I have read through the BTC web site and it is not very useful. I have Googled but the info is all over the place with, I suspect, lots of bad info.

Anyone have the information on the best way to go?

AT&T Coverage

Passport
$40.00/mo.
Talk: $1per minute/min
Send text: Unlimited
Get texts: Same plan you use at home
Use data: 200MB, then $0.25/MB
Connect to AT&T Global Wi-Fi hotspots for free.

See other options
Passport Silver
$60.00/mo.
Talk: $0.50per minute/min
Use data: 300MB, then $0.20/MB

Passport Gold
$120.00/mo.
Talk: $0.35per minute/min
Use data: 800MB, then $0.15/MB
No, thanks. Don't need it.
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    We always use ATT Passport, but we've never been there for more than 15 days at a time. If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you're probably better off buying the Batelco sim. I think the data is about $10/gig. The phone service isn't cheap, but much less than ATT Passport.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    We always use ATT Passport, but we've never been there for more than 15 days at a time. If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you're probably better off buying the Batelco sim. I think the data is about $10/gig. The phone service isn't cheap, but much less than ATT Passport.

Thanks. Yes we have two BLU unlocked phones. Right now it seems putting the smallest cost Passport on one to make sure people can find us and putting a BTC SIM and data card on the other is the way to go. Then tether the laptop to the phone's hot spot for internet.

We could tell people what the Bahamas SIM phone number is, but we have elderly parent in Ireland, kids in OK and MT, and siblings all over, that we would rather keep it simple.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 159 Deckhand
    I turned my phone on and Verizon had a thing that was pay a flat rate of $10 per day and you got to use your phone and plan as you would in the states.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    I normally buy the sim card and Batalco minutes. Once you are back I was able to resell on e-bay.
    Just spent 2 months overseas trying to use AT&T. The bills were outrageous. Our phones barely worked 1/2 of the time. Never again. I'll buy a local by the minute phone.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GO2ABACOGO2ABACO Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    The new phone company ALIV is the way to go. they have great coverage and an example of one plan is $50 for the month and that gives you unlimited incoming calls from anywhere in the states Bahamas and Canada with 550 outgoing minutes 550 texts and 5.5 G of data. They are faster than BTC and customer service is incredible. Another plus is that your number doesn't expire after three months of non use
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    I turn my Florida phone off and never turn it on while there. SIM card in unlocked phone with Bahamas number and ?? Whatever plan.
    Can call florida phone # to check msgs. When needed.
    Phone service Internet is week at best. It is marginal anyway. Don't plan on good internet.
  • ScreaminSeamenScreaminSeamen Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I have a republic wireless phone and it's works off WiFi. I've been to the Bahamas several times and if I have WiFi I can call and text and it doesn't cost extra at all. And my plan is only 15 bucks a month. I was in Grand Cay. Staying at mad Max. Was able to go on the internet and all that good stuff. No extra charge.
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Aliv is great if you are going to Abaco or Nassau. not much use anywhere else if you can't get service.

I am able to stream Netflix by hot spotting my phone in the Exumas so its not that bad. Just make sure you don't fall asleep watching a movie as the data goes quick!