Home General Fishing

Bow fishing start up

fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
Want to start bow fishing for tilapia and stuff in the canals with my daughters. Anybody have any advice for start-ups? Bow brands, styles, reels, etc......

Replies

• DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 162 Deckhand
    I did this as a character before dropping serious money on a bowgun. Very fun way of catching dinner but very hard to hit your moving target. My charter was in Tampa for 1/2 day. Hit zero targets and shot about 100 times for sheepshead. Did not want to shoot Rays. Missed a 50lb black drum right in front of me shooting from a boat. You want an AMS retrieval reel and any bowgun. Drop the pull for the lady to 20lbs. Default for most fishing bow is 40lb. My was 40lb and after 50 shot I was tired.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Was it a standard bow or a cross bow? I saw the basic bow kits at Bass Pro and **** and the price to start seems to be in the $400 range. Don't want to spend that kind of money if I could I get a similar setup for half the price or maybe spend a little bit more for a better set up. I know we are going to suck at first but it seems like a blast and we have a ton of places around here to hone our skills.
  • LarrycLarryc Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I used an older compound bow I had with a Cajun brand reel and arrow kit. The reel replaces the stabilzer. Just remember to aim low
  • marexmarex Posts: 170 Deckhand
    PSE Discovery. Comes with everything you need at $200 retail but you can find for less on Ebay. I've had this setup for ~2 years and have felt no need to upgrade.

It comes in either 29 and 44# draw weight. 44# would be fine for you but your daughters may (or may not) be better off with 29#. If you're both using the same bow, I'd go 29#. Draw weight is seldom the limiting factor when shooting fish.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Thanks for the help everyone!