Wreck fishing question.

Hi all,

Was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. Heading down to Key Largo in a couple weeks and wanted to try some of the published wrecks. I see some have bouys to tie off to to fish, for example the Benwood. My question is can you drift over them or use an electric motor with spot lock or do you actually have to be attached to the bouy to be legal. Also, we r staying in the Blackwater sound area. Is the pass thru Largo sound and out South Creek sound my only option to get ocean side?

Thanks for any and all help.
Vince.

Replies

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 603 Officer
    Hi all,

Was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. Heading down to Key Largo in a couple weeks and wanted to try some of the published wrecks. I see some have bouys to tie off to to fish, for example the Benwood. My question is can you drift over them or use an electric motor with spot lock or do you actually have to be attached to the bouy to be legal. Also, we r staying in the Blackwater sound area. Is the pass thru Largo sound and out South Creek sound my only option to get ocean side?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Vince.

Don't fish the Benwood. I believe it is a preserve.
  • teaklejrteaklejr Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Getting ocean side from blackwater sound is easy via Adams Cut then go either north side out towards Garden cove through mangroves or head south through mangroves that puts you almost due east of Molasses reef. You can also take Jewfish creek to the north but that puts you up above Carysfort reef and is a longer run. I believe you cannot fish within the reefs that are marked off with yellow buoys. Most of the major reefs inside Pennekamp will be off limits. Just check the rules to be sure.