Rear drag going away???

I have a most excellent old but as new inexpensive Shakespeare rear drag reel, and today I went online to find out just about no makers offer rear drag models except in value line products?

This is odd because I "thought" most really liked rear drag models.

Does anyone have a line on RD models that are well made and durable for 8-12 lb. test?
Regards,

Gary

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,657 Admiral
    Don't think too many rear drag models are sold in the US anymore. If you go to Shimano's European website, you will see that they have about 8 different reels for that market from semi decent quality to el cheapos. Not sure if most folks like rear drags though, I dont.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• gnappignappi Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Conchydong,

Thanks for the Shimano Euro site tip. With their several model numbers listed I found them for sale in the U.S. Thanks again
    Regards,

Gary
    gnappi wrote: »
    Conchydong,

Thanks for the Shimano Euro site tip. With their several model numbers listed I found them for sale in the U.S. Thanks again

:thumbsup

― Ernest Hemingway

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I hope so , they are PITA to work on...
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Hopefully, hah, I imagine walfart sells the last ones, and prob BPS. Front drag, just do it.
    Charles wrote: »
    Hopefully, hah, I imagine walfart sells the last ones, and prob BPS. Front drag, just do it.

I've used front drag reels all my life, and RD when they came out, I prefer RD, is that OK with you?

And yes WM sells cheap RD's and I'm not interested in them, now if you want to challenge Shimano reels I think you're on thin ice.

I won't presume to tell you or anyone else what to use, I suggest others who know how to make their opinion my opinion do the same.
    Regards,

Gary
    johnD wrote: »
    I hope so , they are PITA to work on...

Sooo, I and everyone else who likes them should buy a FD for once every 3 years the drag may need work? I don't think so.

That's like saying "Don't buy a car with a 5 bolt lug wheel, get 4 lug wheel car because it's easier to change tires when you get a flat or need a rotation. Egads such bias. I just received last week a Shimano and it's like glass the drag is much to my liking. For $100 I couldn't be happier :-)
    Regards,

Gary
    gnappi wrote: »
    Sooo, I and everyone else who likes them should buy a FD for once every 3 years the drag may need work? I don't think so.

That's like saying "Don't buy a car with a 5 bolt lug wheel, get 4 lug wheel car because it's easier to change tires when you get a flat or need a rotation. Egads such bias. I just received last week a Shimano and it's like glass the drag is much to my liking. For $100 I couldn't be happier :-)

Glad things worked out for you. While we all may have preferences, it is not my position to tell others what reel to use, what food to eat or clothes to wear.

― Ernest Hemingway

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I love these threads... I actually get to LOL at ppl...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I had some old Zebco Cardinal rear drag reels made in Sweden and they were fantastic...
    conchydong wrote: »
    Glad things worked out for you. While we all may have preferences, it is not my position to tell others what reel to use, what food to eat or clothes to wear.

Thx again for your tip, it's folks like you that make forums work.
    Regards,

Gary