Home General Freshwater Fishing

Freshwaterfly fishing in So. Fla

I grew up (literally) on a trout stream and very nearby a reservoir in upstate New York with a fly rod in my hands. I've caught literally thousands of trout and bass on a fly rod.

Waaayyy back then my Dad an I tied our own flies but I'm not likely to get THAT much into it at this point in my life.

So, recently I bought a new rod and reel, and I want to start bass fishing again but need some advice on fly types.

Type... Wet? Dry? Does anyone have recommendations on specific kinds? I doubt the cahill and midges etc I used in cooler climes would be useful, or are they?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Regards,

Gary

Replies

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    I am a long time fisherman but fairly new to the Fly Sport. Without typing everything I have tried and the "who, what when...etc the one I have settled on for "traditional type Bass fishing (what I'd normally do with a Mann's Jelly worm) is the EelWorm and I fish it on or near the bottom. This time of year the Bass are schooling so I use a Baitfish Fly that matches the hatch...kinda. Those little tiny fly's you northern boys use (nymphs...) works down here too for the Panfish. I tie this with a dumbbell so I can slink it across the bottom. My colors up here are dark..Black, Purple and shades of brown.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,420 Officer
    Olive or black wooly **** and a foam top water fly.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Poppers will catch a lot of fish here. As will any "match the hatch" minnow imitation . Early summer when the bass and other fish really key in on newly hatched fry, flies will catch a ton of school fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    I would grab a few frog poppers for bass and snakeheads and some smaller panfish poppers for bluegill, cichlids, crappie and smaller bass. Who doesn't love a topwater bite. Other than that any simple minnow or small baitifish pattern will work. I use conner's midnight mullet and surf candies for bass all the time.

Since you are in So. FL I would also get some small clouser minnows or brightly colored crazy charlies for peacocks and cichlids. Sight fishing the very forgiving peacock bass is a lot of fun and super easy.

So. FL also has carp on berry flies. It is dry fly fishing very similar to trout fishing.

No need to go super heavy on a new rod. I would get a 7 weight personally. Light enough to have fun with panfish but could go get bonefish or redfish if you wanted too.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 279 Deckhand
    gnappi wrote: »
    I grew up (literally) on a trout stream and very nearby a reservoir in upstate New York with a fly rod in my hands. I've caught literally thousands of trout and bass on a fly rod.

Waaayyy back then my Dad an I tied our own flies but I'm not likely to get THAT much into it at this point in my life.

So, recently I bought a new rod and reel, and I want to start bass fishing again but need some advice on fly types.

Type... Wet? Dry? Does anyone have recommendations on specific kinds? I doubt the cahill and midges etc I used in cooler climes would be useful, or are they?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I flyfish for bass alot. Prefer poppers. A Pecks Popper # 4 Chartruese or if you cant get it yellow. I tie my own flies but can't beat the Pecks. Get them at Breambugs.com. For subsurface a # 4 Clouser is as good as anything. Olive and white in clear, black in stained water. I've caught some bass on huge black or purple bunny leaches but not much fun to throw.
  • gnappignappi Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Funny that some mentioned poppers. A long time ago I went on a Golf course pond at dusk in PB county, flipped a red popper onto the water and a HUGE bass took the popper and it hit so hard it sounded like someone dropped a Buick into the water from a Cessna :-)

Lost the fish, got chased by the groundskeepers but I remember that fish. I ordered some poppers today.
    Regards,

Gary