Daytona beach fishing

JayAJayA Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Hey guys,
Vacationing with the family in Daytona beach in March. I'm from upstate NY and most all of my fishing is done in the upper Niagara river from my boat for bass. I have never been to Florida before and am looking for some tips on shore fishing in Daytona during that time of year. Any help would be much appreciated. I'd be happy to return the favor if anyone is ever up this way. Love to bass fish and from what I've read you guys have fish 3x the size we catch up here. Thanks in advance.
Jason

Replies

• billdawgbilldawg Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    You looking to target bass or surf fish?
  • JayAJayA Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I was looking more to target bass. Maybe some inland rivers/ponds. I'll be spending a day or 2 near Orlando also. Sorry about that I didn't notice your response until today.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,664 Captain
    Just about every pond in Central Florida has Bass. use zoom Fluke Watermelon/ Red flake or worms Junebug color with a 3/0 hook.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,456 Admiral
    ...and if there is a fence around the pond, that means it's for natives only, no trespassing. :fishing

Seriously, if there is a fence around it, no one can fish it. If there are no fishing signs, you probably can't fish it or its not worth getting yelled at to fish it.

Otherwise any pond, man made or natural, will most likely have bass. Don't pass up ponds that appear to have no vegetation. Most of the man made retention ponds will have fish and mats of grass growing on the bottom. Signs to look for on the retention ponds are wading birds and clams. Often the retention ponds are better to fish than natural ones, because they are groomed around the shore and don't offer hiding places for cotton mouths.

Captain Todd Approves

Thanks for the great advice. Much appreciated. Is March decent time to fish the ponds there? Or is all year pretty good?
    Also, speaking of cotton mouths, I'm not used to anything trying to bite or eat me fishing where I live. I'll have to keep an eye out for them and gators I guess. Although the gators are rather tasty.
    March is excellent for pond fishing in central Florida, at least it is in my ponds. If you like catching panfish they will be active too in the shallows. March is probably my favorite month because I can target both and have pretty constant action.

Unless you go back into some woods with no grooming, gators and moccasins aren't much of a concern. Don't go walking into uncut grass and weeds along the shore. Just keep an eye out for gators. If you are fishing in parks or neighborhoods its unlikely a big gator will be in there. People see gators minding their own business and fearful of human activity and still call and get them removed.

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,409 Admiral
    mplspug wrote: »
    ...and if there is a fence around the pond, that means it's for natives only, no trespassing. :fishing

Seriously, if there is a fence around it, no one can fish it. If there are no fishing signs, you probably can't fish it or its not worth getting yelled at to fish it.

Otherwise any pond, man made or natural, will most likely have bass. Don't pass up ponds that appear to have no vegetation. Most of the man made retention ponds will have fish and mats of grass growing on the bottom. Signs to look for on the retention ponds are wading birds and clams. Often the retention ponds are better to fish than natural ones, because they are groomed around the shore and don't offer hiding places for cotton mouths.

we always see those retention ponds on 44 heading to NSB and I've wondered. You see tire tracks in the grass all the way around so I know someone is fishing them
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I wonder about those too, but I always assumed it was private land being right on 44?

I saw some teenage looking kids fishing the one on the north side once, but its the real tiny pond, so I don't think there's much in there. The bigger one on the south side that runs parallel to 44, I have seen a truck there a couple times, but he had a cast net and wasn't fishing.

Captain Todd Approves

• BK922BK922 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Used to fish the ones on 44 all the time on the way back to school from the beach. Unfortunately I was driving down that road the other day and it appears almost all of them now have no trespassing signs. The one closest to Deland is still fishable though, although it looks like they sprayed for the cattails and weeds which probably messed the water all up. Mostly caught 1-3 pound bass in them, although a buddy got a 5lb fish on fly one day. Some of them had small gators in them that would follow you around, they had obviously been fed.

The biggest bass I ever saw in any of them was in that little tiny pond on the north side though, couldn't buy a bite.

Another good option would be to go out and walk and fish all the impoundments/canals at Lake Woodruff. We used to do that after class all the time in the evening with the 5 wt fly rods and catch tons of small bass and panfish. The scenery and wildlife out there are pretty amazing as well
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BK922 wrote: »
    Used to fish the ones on 44 all the time on the way back to school from the beach. Unfortunately I was driving down that road the other day and it appears almost all of them now have no trespassing signs. The one closest to Deland is still fishable though, although it looks like they sprayed for the cattails and weeds which probably messed the water all up. Mostly caught 1-3 pound bass in them, although a buddy got a 5lb fish on fly one day. Some of them had small gators in them that would follow you around, they had obviously been fed.

The biggest bass I ever saw in any of them was in that little tiny pond on the north side though, couldn't buy a bite.

Another good option would be to go out and walk and fish all the impoundments/canals at Lake Woodruff. We used to do that after class all the time in the evening with the 5 wt fly rods and catch tons of small bass and panfish. The scenery and wildlife out there are pretty amazing as well

If I were going to risk trespassing, and I'm not. I'd hit the golf courses around my area. I see 5-6 pounders just floating around lazily. That was 8 years ago when i golfed a few times. I can't stand golfing but I go because my father enjoys it. Next time i need to pack a pocket fisherman.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I was reminded of another great tip for the shore bound pond fisherman...install FishBrains on your phone. I was browsing and found posts of people catching big bass on the opposite side of a pond I fish and they are recent. Guess what spot I'll be hitting the next couple of weeks.

I am so glad some fishermen can't help themselves.

Captain Todd Approves

I was reminded of another great tip for the shore bound pond fisherman...install FishBrains on your phone. I was browsing and found posts of people catching big bass on the opposite side of a pond I fish and they are recent. Guess what spot I'll be hitting the next couple of weeks.

I am so glad some fishermen can't help themselves.

Is that over there by lake Gotwater? Been there many times.
    Not sure, is that next to Lake Gotfish? :Bike

Across from the Nunya Business?

Captain Todd Approves

Thanks for all the great advice guys can't wait to get down there. Love catching panfish too. Looking forward to it. Would be cool to see gator or 2 also. We're spending 2 days at Disney and the rest of the week fishing. Right now with the way the weather has been up here in buffalo there's not much action. Just enough ice to mess up fishing the river but not enough for ice fishing yet.
  • Dmayes1977Dmayes1977 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I was wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right direction to do some wade fishing in the Daytona area? I'm from south Florida and not familiar with the area any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • zman1088zman1088 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Is there shore fishing access at Lake Monroe? Ill be in the Daytona area 2/14-2/21
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    If you're coming all the way down from NY, I would suggest you treat yourself to one of the countless species Florida has to offer that you can't catch back home instead of blah old largemouth Bass that you can catch in any lake, pond or river in the country. The Florida sub-species is only really different on a genetic level. They're no different than dragging in LMB anywhere else. I would recommend fishing for anything in salt water - I've done a lot of both SW and FW fishing over the years and love them both, but pretty much anything over 8 oz in salt water fights harder than a LMB. It's a lot of fun and you don't even need to change your setup to do inshore light tackle angling. Good luck either way. It just seems like coming from NY to FL to fish for LMB is like going from America to Italy to eat at a McDonalds in Rome.
    While I don't agree with the largemouth hate, he does bring up a good point. There is a lot more access to salt water from Titusville all the way up past Daytona. There are countless public piers and docks to fish from and all you need is shrimp, because everything will eat shrimp.
    Is there shore fishing access at Lake Monroe? Ill be in the Daytona area 2/14-2/21

There is. Along the south side a lot of locals fish for catfish. You can park along the side of the wall or in a lot towards Sanford. There are some scattered pads and reeds to cast to, but I have never tried it.

There is also a park (Lake Monroe Park) on the north side of where Monroe dumps into the Saint John's just off 17. People fish there, but I made several trips and never caught much. Not even panfish using worms.

Captain Todd Approves

Sorry, didn't mean to hate on bucket mouths. They're great to catch. Just saying they are the same everywhere - and pretty much anywhere you go, you can and will catch them. No reason to come across the country for them, because you can just stay at home and catch the same fish in your back yard. They're so common and so darn easy to catch that they're almost a nuisance fish. :) But that's the way I am - I like variety. Whenever I travel, I always bring my gear because I love sampling the local fisheries, love catching new species (heck, even micro-fishing can be fun for new species).

But everyone's mileage varies. When I have family visit from out of state, I try to treat them to unique local food they can't get back home, but my in-laws from Jersey only want to eat at Jersey Mike's. That's not me, but I get it.
    I see your point. I'd say given the choice, he should be adventurous and fish salt.

However, it is a lot different here. I come from Minnesota and you can't fish any ponds under 10' because there isn't enough oxygen in winter to support fish. I think it's cool I can walk up to a pond meant to hold runoff and catch 3-4lb bass consistently.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

I see your point. I'd say given the choice, he should be adventurous and fish salt.

However, it is a lot different here. I come from Minnesota and you can't fish any ponds under 10' because there isn't enough oxygen in winter to support fish. I think it's cool I can walk up to a pond meant to hold runoff and catch 3-4lb bass consistently.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah that's one of the really cool things about Florida fishing - fresh or salt - you can catch lunkers and wall-hangers in a foot of water or a little puddle because so much of it is connected through canals, underground caves, etc., that big fish always have a way in and out.