Home Conservation Forums

Deep Drop Rig

Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
How many hooks are you allowed to have on a deep drop rig and how long can it be?

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 1,123 Officer
    I know it doesn't answer you're question but a buddy of mine said the first time he deep dropped he used a rig with 4 or 5 hooks. Some how he hooked up with 3 or 4 amber jacks. He said he would never use more then 2 hooks after that.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    I use 5 or 6 hooks now with short leaders from main line total rig length about 7'. I have been wanting to try longer 3' leaders but I would have to place the hooks at 7' apart making the rig 35' to 50' long. I was told by a commercial fisherman it was the same as freshwater he thought, 25 hooks per line. Not that I want to put 25 hooks on a line but what is the max amount of hooks before it becomes commercial?
  • For some reason I thought it was 6 hooks, but can't find it anywhere.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,123 Officer
    For some reason I thought it was 6 hooks, but can't find it anywhere.

That's what I thought also, but like you, I couldn't find anywhere where it states the number of hooks that can be used.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    Well I found part of the answer. I ask MYFWC and found this. 10 hooks per line and no max length. Have not found any info for federal water though, federal site not much help

Question:

What are the regulations for using longlines, trotlines, bush hooks and jugs in Florida?

Answer:

SALTWATER: You may fish with trotlines or a jug/float in Florida saltwaters only if:
    •Use of a trotline is not prohibited by the regulations for the species you are harvesting;
    •The line or series of lines have 10 hooks or less; and
    •The fishing line is "tended" at all times. This means you must be present "at the end" of the gear. This is to ensure that you can retrieve the line.
    Species specific Saltwater Fishing Regulations and a summary of the regulations can be found on the FWC web pages. There is currently no limit to how long trotlines can be. However, too much length on a trotline may make it difficult to retrieve, and may not meet the tending requirement.

Possession of longline gear (a line or series of connected lines with more than 10 hooks) is prohibited in Florida's saltwaters (generally, up to 3 miles off the Atlantic coast and 9 miles off the Gulf coast), except for persons in continuous transit across state waters to or from federal waters.