Stradic 3000fj grease or oil bearings?

I'm going through some of my Shimano Stradic 3000fj reels. I'm comfortable breaking them down and cleaning but questioning lube for bearings. These have shielded bearings and I took the shields off and cleaned them out. I'm reading some places that say to pack with grease and others say to oil the bearings no grease.
Anyone here know what should be done for these bearings?
Also the brass pinion gear(I think that's what it's called where the spool shaft moves up and down inside of it. Does this get greased inside or oil inside? I know grease the gears on outside but questioning the inside.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,932 Moderator
    I always heard grease the gears and oil the bearings..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    My normal routine with any shielded bearing is to use a good quality gun oil (Gunslik, Break Free) into the seams where the shields are allowing to flood down into the bearings while turning them by hand to ensure the oil penetrates. Once that's done I use a good quality grease and lightly coat the outside of any shielded bearing (both sides) to keep the oil in and water out... Once you've removed the shields just grease the bearings (and make a point of cleaning and re-greasing them every year). Shielded bearings treated as described above (oiled and lightly coated with grease) last a long time before they need any additional maintenance (and I'm talking about hard commercial service, day after day..).

For the rest or your reel grease any parts that rub together lightly, oil any moving parts that slide together (the shaft of any spinner where it slides through the pinion gear, line rollers, bail hinges, etc.

Hope this helps. I long ago quit removing shields from bearings except as a last resort...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • mklingmkling Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah I've never taken shields off before but I can't get this one reel going smooth so thought I'd try it. Looks like I need to order a couple new bearings. I got 4 all done and working great. Just need parts for this last one so it went pretty good. Now I need the ice to melt or plan another trip south.
  • CageyCagey Posts: 611 Officer
    Concerning the bearings... something to keep in mind... when you get a brand new stradic reel the bearings come with grease inside from the bearing manufacturer. By removing the grease with solvent you can free up the operation of the reel some, but keep in mind once the grease is gone and you oil the bearings they will become very noisy. And you have to keep oiling them too because the oil flows out while the grease does not. Grease in bearings means quiet reel. No grease, expect it to be loud. I am going through this with one of my reels right now.

And, on all my stradic reels I always remove the friction ring.

And on the line guide roller bearing, I always replace those with ceramic hybrid bearings which are noisier too.

In all of my spinning reels I use corrosion X for the oil lubricant. Not only is it a great lubricant, but it also keeps bearings from rusting up. I also use it on all my AR bearings and have not had any trouble in more than 10 years and have not had to replace any AR bearings either and I live in Florida near the coast where we have salt in the air blowing in off the ocean and I have not had any problems using corrosion X.
  • seaguy 10seaguy 10 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Cagey wrote: »
    Concerning the bearings... something to keep in mind... when you get a brand new stradic reel the bearings come with grease inside from the bearing manufacturer. By removing the grease with solvent you can free up the operation of the reel some, but keep in mind once the grease is gone and you oil the bearings they will become very noisy. And you have to keep oiling them too because the oil flows out while the grease does not. Grease in bearings means quiet reel. No grease, expect it to be loud. I am going through this with one of my reels right now.

Me too
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    I use a light weight syn motor oil and my (4) Stradic fj's are smooth as silk and extremely quiet. They get a lot of use, catch a lot of fish, and keep on ticking as long as I keep them oiled.