Home Fly Fishing

what wt rod

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 311 Deckhand
Hey guys! so im looking for a new rod probobly a sage motive in im not sure the wt. I have 2 8wts both tfo pro twos. But i want something bigger, would you go with a 10wt? and would it have any use for an angler on foot? or a 9? I fish mostly wading snook on the beach baby tarpon and wading for bones, although i do have a kayak. I even considered getting another 8wt and having a nicer rod. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Replies

• LighthouseKipLighthouseKip Posts: 21 Deckhand
    The 8wt are perfect for the type of fishing that you do. If you are looking for something bigger, a 10wt is a very versatile size. You'll be a bit over-gunned for fishing from the beach, but with the kayak you can get into some bigger tarpon (especially during the mullet run), or fish bridges for the big-boy snook. If your kayak is sea-worthy, you can even do some light offshore on a calm day and look for weed lines and birds. A 10wt can handle a lot of situations where you are looking for bigger fish.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,631 Captain
    Lighthouse is right on the money -if your first rod is an 8wt your second rod should be at least two sizes larger (or smaller). Since you're wanting something heavier that 10wt will allow you to toss bigger flies, be better able to cast on windy days, and be a lot better able to handle bigger fish (my anglers have taken tarpon up to 80lbs with a 10 wt on more than one occasion...). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Thank you guys that helps out alot!
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I would agree with going for the 10 wt. I have a 10 wt TiCr that TFO does not make any more and it is what I use a lot in the boat many times for Stripers but it is also a rod that I can use all day long from the beach and have done so many times. My point is the rods today even for a 10 wt are not abusive to the arm like 10 weights used to be. Many 10 weights today when you pick them up you have to take a second look just to make sure it is a 10 weight.
  • Snooking GoodSnooking Good Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I used to actively fish ENP, Biscayne, and from land in SoFla. You can't hardly beat an 8wt for all around and a 10wt for Tarpon season.
    One can easily become a tackle collector, and you start your post "I'm looking for something heavier" so I think IMO the 10wt will be your choice. Just keep in mind you will use it less, but later you can upgrade one of your 8wts
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    10 WT would be for fishing for Tarpon and Snook around bridges, and then you can use it as a Tarpon/Permit rod if you are ever out on a skiff, or bring it offshore for dolphin/bonito. Other option would be the 5/6 WT for freshwater and micros, pretty much all I use out on 41 is my 5 WT.