Sunshines and Shad * Navigating

**Navigation - for a few more days, MAYBE. Mud Boats, Airboats, Canoes, Kayaks or walking. No Mater what you have you WILL get out and pull it across sand and mud at some point. A Jon Boat will work but use a small one that you can drag across the sand and mud. This applies to south of HWY 46 and heading in to Lake Harney from the South. I know the waters and bottom of the river very well and I Hi-centered my Skiff once on Feb 2nd and got it stuck 3 times where my partner and I had to get out and push it off. I got stuck several times where I could get it off with the Push Pole. Trolling motor is of little to no use. Gonna be heading upriver for the run this year it looks like. A few at or over 4 pounds have been caught (North Harney) but no signs of the beginning of the run yet. Maybe trying Lake Monroe.
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,455 Moderator
    Thanks , wow , sounds like the water is way down. Is there water from 46 ramp up river ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    The water from the ramp heading north to Lake Harney is passable but to get in to Lake Harney is a challenge if you dont know where the channel is. The Channel is at about 14" currently. The River current will be Flowing Backwards in a day or two.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 577 Officer
    Worst I've seen
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,455 Moderator
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    Worst I've seen

Will be walking to the shad it sounds like.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,786 AG
    Most of peninsular Florida is in some level of drought...so this is not unexpected. Places I have shot ducks at the end of season most years...where dry mud flats this year. I just hope it does not hurt the spawning.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you