Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Feb 1 Skip Smith and RJ Boyle SWORDFISH to Costa Rica Sailfish & Marlin

The club is delighted to have two of S Florida's most experienced captains who need no introductions, Skip Smith and RJ Boyle, who will talk about SWORDFISH to Costa Rica Sailfish & Marlin. The discussion will cover a wide range of topics, and of course, Skip and Bobby will answer all of your fishing questions. A very timely topic is the possible introduction of long-line boats into the closed zone. It will be a very interesting night with lots of great free door prizes. I hope to see you at Shenanigans East Side Pub, 1300 South Federal Highway, Dania Beach, FL on feb 1 starting at 7 pm.
The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

Replies

• Remember this Longline issue is no more than Scott Taylor of Day Boat trying to permanently open the closed zone North of Stuart.

In the past PLL experiment, Dave Kerstetter put forward an argument with why he had to do a certain number of sets to have "statistical accuracy" but he only did half the sets, and Oh got paid for all the sets by his grant.

This is no more than Nova SE University trying to get grants and Scott Taylor trying to open the zone.

In the last experiment, Dave Kerstetter missed some very important scientific information. He never reported accurate bycatch of billfish with location and an accurate estimate of post release mortality. He also never reported the juvenile swordfish mortality.

Both of those data sets where the reason he got the grant.

If you want to protect our swordfishery, you better comment to HMS by Feb 18th or Day boats will be fishing the closed zone for the next 3 years with unlimited access and bycatch.

BTW, CCA is strongly opposing this opening of a legally closed PLL zone which was put in place to limit Billfish and Juvenile swordfish bycatch.
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 878 Officer
    Remember this Longline issue is no more than Scott Taylor of Day Boat trying to permanently open the closed zone North of Stuart.

In the past PLL experiment, Dave Kerstetter put forward an argument with why he had to do a certain number of sets to have "statistical accuracy" but he only did half the sets, and Oh got paid for all the sets by his grant.

This is no more than Nova SE University trying to get grants and Scott Taylor trying to open the zone.

In the last experiment, Dave Kerstetter missed some very important scientific information. He never reported accurate bycatch of billfish with location and an accurate estimate of post release mortality. He also never reported the juvenile swordfish mortality.

Both of those data sets where the reason he got the grant.

If you want to protect our swordfishery, you better comment to HMS by Feb 18th or Day boats will be fishing the closed zone for the next 3 years with unlimited access and bycatch.

BTW, CCA is strongly opposing this opening of a legally closed PLL zone which was put in place to limit Billfish and Juvenile swordfish bycatch.

Ron, I don't know where U get your information from, but it is not accurate. 192 sets out of 256 sets were made.
    A number of the vessels failed to meet NOAA requirements such as how to release turtles training so he could not use those vessels as planned. Estimates of by catch and locations were made; I can send U the plots and the data summary. The results of his study were published. You need to get better information sources and you should have joined the 70+ people who showed to at the meeting. Professor Dave showed up and explained the proposal. Capts Bouncer, Skip, Tony, and RJ Boyle spoke, as well as Ellen Peel and many others. The club strongly believes in sharing views, knowledge, and information. cheers, O
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • Arthur,

Thanks for the update, I was not available to be there, but met with Skip and RJ the day before to go over the opposition to the EFP..

This is clearly a let go fishing effort by Scott Taylor of Day Boats. The main problem beside the obvious is the fact that Alternate 3 moves the effort too close to shore and will have a significant sailfish bycatch. With the state of that fishery, we don't need anymore PLL interaction.

Truly what they are trying to do besides fish the closed zone is look for areas with less Bluefin Tuna interaction.

Oh as far as sources, remember I have been on ICCAT for the last 8 years and have seen the presentation to us by Dave. I stand by my comments as this new EFP should never be authorized.

Oh and OK by your stated data, 75% of the set were made, now tell me what percentage of effort was made, hook numbers per set, etc. But please tell me how someone contracts with the Federal Government and does even 75% of the work specified and still gets paid 100% ?? In what world is that OK? And I disagree with your characterization of why the effort was reduced. Fact is it was reduced becasue they were not catching marketable fish in good numbers to stay there, not any other reason.

Honestly this work would be better done with another principal investigator and another PLL operator. You know we need diversity in the presentation and collection of this data, I personally would like to see some of the other available scientists do this to compare to the effort previously done by Dave. I like Dave, but he does too much of the PLL research and the industry could benefit from others involvement.

I have discussed this entire issue a great length with HMS, Ellen, RJ, Skip, etc. And, I have provided comments for consideration to the Governors office.

Arthur, there just aren't very many people who are going to comment in favor of this fishing effort.

And Oh, send me a link to where the info is published if you can.

Thanks,

Ron
  • Oh, BTW this proposal request approval for as much as 4,500,000 hook sets over three years but no maximum, just an estimate of maximum effort.

This is a fishing expedition, not research, but I fully understand how important it is for professors to bring fund to a university.

I would like to know how much money and where it comes from, that's not in the EFP application.

Now remember those numbers when you remember that recreational anglers are allowed only 250 marlin per year!
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 878 Officer
    Ron, thanks for your fishing community efforts, all of us should appreciate all the hours U put into it.
    Oceanographic research is not easy and scientists may be happy if they get 50% of the work done under very difficult conditions.
    A number of Dave's publications are cited in the proposal and more are in the works. It took me 3+ yrs to publish results from our
    major drifter experiment in the Gulf of Mexico. cheers, arthur