Home Fly Fishing

Flats help...

fysherfysher Posts: 36 Greenhorn
Freshwater bass and trout fly-rodder here...

My son and I are planning a trip to Pine Island flats for reds, snook,... in mid March. We have an 8wt Sage VPS and are wanting to add another rod so we are both equipped. What do you guys who have fished in this area recommend? I am open to all brands... from budget rods up to premium but I don't get to go flats fishing that often so I probably wouldnt buy a premium rod. Thanks for your suggestions on flyline too.

Replies

• remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    I have had good luck with Cabelas saltwater travel rods, I dont get to the ocean often either, the Tlr has been a good rod for me, breaks down very small for travel and I bet you can find a reel combo for a good price, just my .02
  • fysherfysher Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I looked at a cabelas rod yesterday. Thanks I may go back and give it another look. Also looking at tfo mangrove but read where some say it is not a good distance rod. I have a bvk 6 wt so I am familiar with it.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    fysher wrote: »
    Freshwater bass and trout fly-rodder here...

My son and I are planning a trip to Pine Island flats for reds, snook,... in mid March. We have an 8wt Sage VPS and are wanting to add another rod so we are both equipped. What do you guys who have fished in this area recommend? I am open to all brands... from budget rods up to premium but I don't get to go flats fishing that often so I probably wouldnt buy a premium rod. Thanks for your suggestions on flyline too.

If your going to hook-up with a guide....use his stuff and his flies...my 2 cents or go to a saltwater fly shop and and least the guy will get you in the ball park....however I would refer to the guide more then anybody else....everybody will try and sell you something that they don't have a clue about. good luck and buyer bewear
    If your going to hook-up with a guide....use his stuff and his flies...my 2 cents or go to a saltwater fly shop and and least the guy will get you in the ball park....however I would refer to the guide more then anybody else....everybody will try and sell you something that they don't have a clue about. good luck and buyer be waear

No guide this trip. My son fished the area last year and did very well on reds. We are kayaking. Thanks
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Budget? Do you prefer super fast rods or on the slower side? Also, 8wt would be the most versatile but you could get by with a 7wt which could then be used for throwing streamers at bass.
    mnigro wrote: »
    Budget? Do you prefer super fast rods or on the slower side? Also, 8wt would be the most versatile but you could get by with a 7wt which could then be used for throwing streamers at bass.

Good point. I have several 7 wt rods. Truth is I have not bought a rod in a while and I think I just want a new rod... y'all know how it is. I like the vps but always enjoy trying new sticks. Just don't want a rod that will not handle the conditions. Budget... 500.00 max
    Thanks
  • E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    In March there will be reds, snook and trout primarily, with a few jacks running around, cobia, sharks, pompano, you name it. There will be a few tarpon too. Actually saw a few resident fish yesterday. Except for tarpon, a 7 or 8 will be fine. You didn't say if you were taking your own boat or a kayak--planning on a guide. As Carl says, if you are using a guide, they should have gear. Just ask first. If you are using your own boat, be careful. Water levels and tides can lead to some shallow water problems. Unlike other parts of Charlotte Harbor, there are some nasty oyster bars.
    E-type wrote: »
    In March there will be reds, snook and trout primarily, with a few jacks running around, cobia, sharks, pompano, you name it. There will be a few tarpon too. Actually saw a few resident fish yesterday. Except for tarpon, a 7 or 8 will be fine. You didn't say if you were taking your own boat or a kayak--planning on a guide. As Carl says, if you are using a guide, they should have gear. Just ask first. If you are using your own boat, be careful. Water levels and tides can lead to some shallow water problems. Unlike other parts of Charlotte Harbor, there are some nasty oyster bars.

Thanks for the tips E.
    We will be kayaking. I have had a run in with oyster bars up in Appalachicola Bay before so I actually prefer the kayak to my boat when fishing new water... My son fished Matlacha and Pine Island last year and did very well on nice reds. He is my guide for this trip.
    Thanks again.
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Look into the TFO signature series 8wt. I have one with a cheaper Redington reel on it that casts like a champ.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I will do that. I had a tfo sig series once. It was a good rod. Thanks for the reminder
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Sage One on closeout, BVK, St Croix Legend Elite Saltwater - all within your budget. There are many others but I've got no experience with anything else new on the market.
    mnigro wrote: »
    Sage One on closeout, BVK, St Croix Legend Elite Saltwater - all within your budget. There are many others but I've got no experience with anything else new on the market.

Sage One on closeout... now there's an idea.