Home Egret Boats

Ameratrail Trailers

1235»

Replies

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I had a Continental axel break inside the hub on year six.The axel was very thin walled and rusted from the inside.
    Replaced with 1/4 inch wall axel,which has held up well.

Contact EZ Loader and request heavier (upgrade) on the axel.
    Should not be expensive.
    Get the spare tire with the hub mounted.
    As others have indicated grease the hub studs and carry thin wall socket and breaker bar for your lugs.
    Torque wrenches are not expensive if you want to go that route and get the foot/pounds right..
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The next question is going to be how many foot pounds of torque on the lug nuts for a aluminum trailer rims!
    I figured i would get this out of the way! 90 lbs. will do!

http://recstuff.com/lugnuttorquespecifications.aspx
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I had a Continental axel break inside the hub on year six.The axel was very thin walled and rusted from the inside.
    Replaced with 1/4 inch wall axel,which has held up well.

Contact EZ Loader and request heavier (upgrade) on the axel.
    Should not be expensive.
    Get the spare tire with the hub mounted.
    As others have indicated grease the hub studs and carry thin wall socket and breaker bar for your lugs.
    Torque wrenches are not expensive if you want to go that route and get the foot/pounds right..

Thanks. Got the spare and hub mounted. Will ask about axle. Have confirmed it is torsion. Maybe I'll just get the torque wrench. I need to find out the size of my lugs to reference Flatsboy's link and determine what size torque wrench to get.

Spoke to Frank again today about the trailer and I'm pretty sure he is tired of hearing about it. I've told him I am going EZ Loader and I am sticking with it. I've made many mistakes in life and this may be one of them but the risk/reward equation works for me on this. Frank did tell me that the trailers have improved substantially over the years, that many things that are standard now weren't even options years ago. Again he brought up protecting the hull, that this is the priority. I share that priority. Boat builder is telling me it protects the hull best. I trust him. Bottom line. It isn't about money it is about the hull.

Hopefully I'll have many years of Egret ownership ahead with which to share my experiences with the EZ Loader, good and bad, and provide input for the next guy.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    It protects the hull the best because he will not help any other trailer company with pertinent data to go by. Ramlin can make one that will work with the swivel bunks allot better. Its hard to sell boats from NC for Florida use especially when the good trailer companies are here. You are the customer and should get what you want. As long as Frank can tell people that his ronco trailer is the best for the boat and they buy it he will continue to push it. I would tell him that I am not taking the cheap trailer and you will have to work with a better trailer company and stand behind the trailer or keep your boat.Working with is actually telling them how you want your bunks set up. Not complaining they suck because you set back and did nothing to help them like other boat companies do when you order a trailer from them. You are spending allot of money and deserve to get what you want. Why spend your money on a compromise??
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    First of all - way too many pages about a trailer.
    2nd - I agree with Renegade - I think you got lots of really good information about trailers that are substantially better, and you're sort of letting Egret of the hook rather than demanding change and something better. People do what is easy and comfortable - only when enough people step up and insist on something better will it get done. I have seen the ramlins with Hells Bays, and they look awesome, I have also heard the rolls is outrageous. I had an ez loader - it is a joke compared to those. My current 2010 boat has some crappy trailer under it - I just spent over $1000 on re building it after only 4 years. With due respect, I think you got a lot of great info and I think you should re consider not listening to it
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    His boat, his money, his build. He's been given the info. His choice. While I agree that there are many trailers out there superior to the ez, it is a pain to accomplish this. I just went through a similar deal on my build earlier this year. I opted for a premium trailer and it's been pointed out it has flaws. As a matter of fact, I'll be rewiring my trailer tonight because of bad lights that were installed. The manufacturer sent me replacements and offered to pay for them to be installed but I can do it so I didn't want to run up a bill on the manufacturer just because I could. At the end of the day Ryan, its your boat and your build. Take all advice heeded with a grain of salt and make the best decision. I had firmly ordered the ez with Frank A about a dozen times and finally told him to cancel the trailer, because I would be purchasing a sport trail. He gladly took it off my build and we set the boat on when I arrived. Wasn't a big deal. So, with that being said, if you decide you want to swing by and pick up a trailer on the side of the road that has daisies growing out of the hubs on the way to NC, it's your build. do with it as you please.if it should happen to break down..... At least you'll have the daisies!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    His boat, his money, his build. He's been given the info. His choice. While I agree that there are many trailers out there superior to the ez, it is a pain to accomplish this. I just went through a similar deal on my build earlier this year. I opted for a premium trailer and it's been pointed out it has flaws. As a matter of fact, I'll be rewiring my trailer tonight because of bad lights that were installed. The manufacturer sent me replacements and offered to pay for them to be installed but I can do it so I didn't want to run up a bill on the manufacturer just because I could. At the end of the day Ryan, its your boat and your build. Take all advice heeded with a grain of salt and make the best decision. I had firmly ordered the ez with Frank A about a dozen times and finally told him to cancel the trailer, because I would be purchasing a sport trail. He gladly took it off my build and we set the boat on when I arrived. Wasn't a big deal. So, with that being said, if you decide you want to swing by and pick up a trailer on the side of the road that has daisies growing out of the hubs on the way to NC, it's your build. do with it as you please.if it should happen to break down..... At least you'll have the daisies!!QUOTE]

And who doesn't like Daisies or was that Daisy:grin
    I spoke to Chad at Rolls Axle today. Price was really good, $2750 or so for the 189. He said they have made improvements that prevent the trailer from floating as they did in the past. He also said they could design the rubber piece in the suspension precisely to the weight of my loaded rig to prevent the hull damage issue you sometimes see on the forums about them.

The rolls axle also has adjustable bunks that support the hull best. I mentioned it to Frank and he confirmed that the only known issue with them is the floating, which the claim to have addressed.

I will be following up further and posting more here.

Pete, is it true you want to buy my Carolina Skiff? I was surprised when I heard that.

THREAD RESURRECTION

Any Rolls Axle Fans....................
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I have one that is about 14 years old with over 100,000 miles on it. I'm happy with it.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    I have a Rolls Axle trailer Jack. Call me with any questions.
    Spook wrote: »
    I have a Rolls Axle trailer Jack. Call me with any questions.

I remember seeing Kevin's w/ the removable tongue. Better than swing away and better anti-theft.
    My Ameratrail is still running but have been replacing parts as needed. 5 years old.
    Hind sight 20/20, wish I had known about Rolls or even Sport Trail.
    Purchased Ameratrail for low water launch capability.
    They are more expensive than Rolls or Sport Trail.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The Rolls is a nice trailer.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Rolls make a great trailer, my only complaint is that is does sit low and is a little tough to back onto my concrete boat pad since I have to do into a dip in my driveway to do it. But that is specific to my house and i have never had a problem at a ramp.