Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Skipper recommendation

I will be on my annual pilgrimage across the pond in May. My son will be with me and as he has never caught a tarpon, I have promised him the trip of his lifetime to catch one of those big silver boys.

Can somebody recommend a decent and successful skipper in the Captiva area?

Replies

• KenyakevinKenyakevin Posts: 165 Officer
    Hi Razer,
    Kev from WSF :)

I'm there until May 13th, at Cape Coral.
    We have our own boat, but booking 2 or 3 charters in 1st week.
    Hopefully get a few tips on methods and fishing spots, but Tarpon is 1 Of the charters we are planning.
    Catch and release some fish
    There are anglers tomorrow who want to catch too
    Just because there is a upper limit, doesn't mean you keep it all.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    John Landry, Ozzie Fischer Cory McGuire.

Can't go wrong with any of them. I'd call now and book the first one available.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 439 Deckhand
    I would recommend Captain Keith Magnussen. He posts on here a lot about tarpon, and he is an excellent teacher and very patient. I am his friend, but he has never asked me to promote him nor endorse him on here. He is a great value for the pound.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    I will second Keith (kmagnuss)
    I would recommend Captain Keith Magnussen. He posts on here a lot about tarpon, and he is an excellent teacher and very patient. I am his friend, but he has never asked me to promote him nor endorse him on here. He is a great value for the pound.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 945 Officer
    I would recommend Capt. Clark Wright in addition to the names already mentioned
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Real V wrote: »
    I will second Keith (kmagnuss)

I agree. He catches a TON of Tarpon. ...and contributes a lot here as well.

http://crookedrod.com/
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com

• BlueRacerBlueRacer Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Capt. Scott Hughes (941-628-4247) is a full time guide that fishes ONLY for tarpon from April until the end of summer.
    Which ever Captain you choose remember that it is called fishing not catching. No matter how good our plans are things happens. The reason I am saying this is I have talked to a few people that have hired Captains and did not get the results they wanted. Then bad mouth the Captain and say I would never hire him again. I know this Captains know how to put clients on fish, it just wasn't their day.
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Which ever Captain you choose remember that it is called fishing not catching. No matter how good our plans are things happens. The reason I am saying this is I have talked to a few people that have hired Captains and did not get the results they wanted. Then bad mouth the Captain and say I would never hire him again. I know this Captains know how to put clients on fish, it just wasn't their day.

Amen to that! Charter guests don't always believe me
    but I want them to catch fish more than they want to. I HATE taking peoples money and not producing for them. It does happen every now and again but usually if it is happening to me, it is also happening to everyone else on that particular day.

The Salmon and Trout trips I run up here in Lake Ontario can be great or really slow depending on the day. When it is really slow it is a lot of pressure and not much fun for me and my first mate. I HATE it when it is like that. I hate taking $600 for a trip and only producing a few small fish. It doesn't happen often for me because I usually only run trips near our peak season. I usually wont even book a trip unless I know we have a pretty good shot at producing. Even then it doesn't always work out.

If I had to choose, I would run near-shore bottom fishing trips in the Gulf. It seems to be pretty easy to get on the fish and keep the anglers busy. It would be much less pressure than what we do up in Lake Ontario and also much less pressure than Tarpon or other in-shore fishing. I might do that when I am semi-retired in a few years.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com

• razerrazer Posts: 64 Greenhorn

Real, I have been fishing for a loooong time and I am acutely aware that you don't catch every time.

Seems Mr Mr Magnussen is the way to go (if he'll have me :wink)

Thanks for all the replies guys
    razer wrote: »
    Real, I have been fishing for a loooong time and I am acutely aware that you don't catch every time.

Seems Mr Mr Magnussen is the way to go (if he'll have me :wink)

Thanks for all the replies guys

Razer that was not aimed at you. I know there are alot of views on these post and they don't post back. So I use these opportunities to enlighten some anglers when I can. I know you will have a great time with Kmag if you choose him. He works hard at what he does.
  • cajun newcomercajun newcomer Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Razer that was not aimed at you. I know there are alot of views on these post and they don't post back. So I use these opportunities to enlighten some anglers when I can. I know you will have a great time with Kmag if you choose him. He works hard at what he does.

best advice i have seen in awhile sometimes we need that reminder
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I appreciate the kind words guys. It really means a lot to me to be considered when you are deciding who to hire to take you out fishing.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • razerrazer Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I appreciate the kind words guys. It really means a lot to me to be considered when you are deciding who to hire to take you out fishing.

You have been chosen, not considered:). I must confess I didn't know you were a captain and always wondered how you got to go out fishing so much!!

I'll be in touch. Where are you based by the way? I'm staying at South Seas resort
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Thanks Razer. I live in Englewood and fish from Venice to Charlotte Harbor. (Mostly Charlotte Harbor). Where you are staying is REALLY far from where I normally put in at. Almost 2 hours! You might be better off with a captain that's a little more local to you. There might be one that could pick you up at your resort even. Don't get me wrong... I'd love to take you out fishing... but I understand that time is valuable when you're on vacation. PM me to talk further if you'd like.

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Ozzie Fischer fishes out of south seas. I'd rank him top 5 best tarpon guides in Lee county.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Just be sure the guide you book is an actual guide. Many charter around here that are not. An actual guide will have his Captains License, Charter License and Consortium Card with him/her at all times as is required and will also have insurance in case of an accident.