Home General Freshwater Fishing

Gainesville Area Bass Fishing

I recently moved to Gainesville to attend UF and I have found few options for fishing legally around campus. Does anyone have suggestions on where to fish from shore around UF? I have access to a kayak every once in a while and I would like to do some bass fishing in nearby springs. Do any of you have experience in this area? I assume I need to use flourocarbon leaders for the ultra-clear water and probably natural color plastic worms. Thanks in advance for any help!

Inshore Only
Redfish 10'

Replies

• a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Start fishin around bronson/ chiefland area !
    That area has alot to offer ......
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Shoot me a pm, i am a current student at UF and a member of the bass fishing team. Where are you fishing around UF legally? Fishing lake alice on campus is a felony, so be careful. Its frustrating because 3 pounders swim up to you at the bank. Id highly suggest if you know anyone with a boat, to join the bass team. You will get to learn the local lakes all around.

Pond hopping around UF is very hard, legally.

Shane
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • kmander3kmander3 Posts: 107 Officer
    The only spring area I fish much is the rainbow river because the family loves it for swimming too.

However your pretty on point with the light lines preferrably flouro for that. As far as technique in those crystal clear spring river type areas you may try drop shotting. It's a finese technique which helps in the gin water but also can help you keep your bait near to the bottomw with the ammount of current they can have.

I'm west central so can't offer any other help about areas.
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    Ive caught some decent bass in the santa fe river out of high springs and thats perfect for a canoe or kayak
  • VermontmanVermontman Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    What about Lake Wauburg? Any good fish? My girlfriend teaches at UF and I have access to the lake. New to the area as well.
    Thanks!
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    give it a shot. There are some fish there. Take one of the kayaks available to members
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,484 Moderator
    Vermontman wrote: »
    What about Lake Wauburg? Any good fish? My girlfriend teaches at UF and I have access to the lake. New to the area as well.
    Thanks!

Welcome aboard Vermontman !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RiffRaffRiffRaff Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Orange, Santa fe, Lochloosa, or just drive over to one of the best fisheries ever - Rodman/Ocklawaha. By the way a felony is almost worth fishing Alice. I may know a guy who fished it a lot during his undergrad in the early 90's at night. He caught many over 8 and one just shy of 11. I heard they even chased him one night, but he was too fast.