Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Kayak Battery Recommendations?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
I've had the same lead acid 12v 7amp battery in my kayaks for about 5 years now. I am convinced its no longer holding a decent charge because on my last trip [even though the battery was charged overnight] all I got from my fishfinder was 15 minute spurts of sufficient voltage and then the unit would blink out again. Also the charger cable for the battery did not indicate that the battery was charged (binary indicator: charging vs charged).

I think I would like to step it up to a 10 amp battery, but I don't want anything super heavy. All I plan to run from the battery is my Lowrance Hook-4 and a BerleyPro LED light. So lets hear some reviews and suggestions with prices folks!
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• WhelanWhelan Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Just received a 10ah from NOCQUA. Google search will give you all the specifics. Battery is +/- 120; you probably want to add an on/off switch for the light.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,085 Captain
    Whelan wrote: »
    Just received a 10ah from NOCQUA. Google search will give you all the specifics. Battery is +/- 120; you probably want to add an on/off switch for the light.

For short trips, that should work fine with your DF7, but for longer trips consider keeping the brightness low. For the DF7 fishfinder, I have been using a 26-35ah Deltran Battery Tender and on a long day if I keep the brilliance high, the battery will die offshore. With brilliance conservation, all day no problems.
    jcanracer wrote: »

I think I would like to step it up to a 10 amp battery, but I don't want anything super heavy. All I plan to run from the battery is my Lowrance Hook-4 and a BerleyPro LED light. So lets hear some reviews and suggestions with prices folks!

If you are looking for a 10 ah battery the same size as the hobie live well battery, but 12V, I have a never used spare that I would be willing to let go of for cheap. It has the metal tab terminals that would require wiring, PM me if interested.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 499 Deckhand
    If you got 5 years with battery I would buy that brand again and wouldn't even ask for another recommendation.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    Whelan wrote: »

I was actually considering that one. It looks like a nice light package.
    For short trips, that should work fine with your DF7, but for longer trips consider keeping the brightness low. For the DF7 fishfinder, I have been using a 26-35ah Deltran Battery Tender and on a long day if I keep the brilliance high, the battery will die offshore. With brilliance conservation, all day no problems.

I think I definitely need to learn how to change the brightness setting to conserve battery when I get a new one. Good point.
    Android77 wrote: »
    If you got 5 years with battery I would buy that brand again and wouldn't even ask for another recommendation.

Nothing wrong with looking at the options. I like the smaller, quicker charging batteries, but I agree that something of the same form factor would be a drop in replacement for me.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 197 Deckhand
    I was actually considering that one. It looks like a nice light package.

Just to clarify - I literally just received it in the mail - yesterday. My ProFisha weighs 50lbs, and space is a premium, so I went for size-weight. Jon brings up good point about settings vs. battery charge life.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    walmarts got good cheap batteries. 5 years is is a good life expectancy. i prefer my black and white sonar for this same reasons.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 357 Deckhand
    I second the 10ah from NOCQUA, I use it to run a my full flow live well and a Lowrance Elite-5 all day while offshore
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Devodud wrote: »
    I second the 10ah from NOCQUA, I use it to run a my full flow live well and a Lowrance Elite-5 all day while offshore

This is a Li-ion battery right?
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 499 Deckhand
    Don't think I would ever put a lithium ion battery in a plastic boat that I take 2 to 4 miles offshore. The E cigarettes and the 2 wheeled boards that blow up are enough to convince me that's just plain stupid. Never have seen a lead acid battery do that and as long as you put inline fuses any kind of short will blow fuse and not cause a battery failure. A battery failure will just melt right through your kayak with a rectangular hole shaped just like the battery. People think leaving the drain plug out is bad.
    Thanks John for the battery!
    I am going to walmart today to get a cheap waterproof container to make a new battery box.
    Thanks John for the battery!
    I am going to walmart today to get a cheap waterproof container to make a new battery box.

Your welcome Chris, I use a small ammo container sold at Harbor Freight and Tools. I think Walmart sells the same container.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 357 Deckhand
    Darylb23 wrote: »
    This is a Li-ion battery right?

It is a lithium battery of some sort.

I have personally had a lead acid battery turn into flaming mess on me before, it can happen with any type of 12V battery. Wire your stuff with an inline fuse and chances are it won't happen. There are extra precautions that need to be taken with a Li-ion battery to make it safe, such as using the charger designed for the battery and not overloading it.
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Devodud wrote: »
    It is a lithium battery of some sort.

I have personally had a lead acid battery turn into flaming mess on me before, it can happen with any type of 12V battery. Wire your stuff with an inline fuse and chances are it won't happen. There are extra precautions that need to be taken with a Li-ion battery to make it safe, such as using the charger designed for the battery and not overloading it.

Makes sense. I'm selling my kayak with the fishfinder and battery so I was thinking I'd find something lighter for my next one. Worth looking into for sure.
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    I use a sealed AGM lead-acid battery from Batteries Plus. They carry a pretty good variety of sizes there. I have a couple of different size batteries that I sometimes switch between, depending on how long I plan to be out. I've had good results so far. I am only powering a 4" Lowrance bottom finder. My big battery is rated 7ah & measures 4"h x 6" x 2.5". I charge it with a standard trickle charger from an auto parts store. I make a habit of charging it as soon as I get home after using it. 2-years in, so far, so good.
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    I use a sealed AGM lead-acid battery from Batteries Plus. They carry a pretty good variety of sizes there. I have a couple of different size batteries that I sometimes switch between, depending on how long I plan to be out. I've had good results so far. I am only powering a 4" Lowrance bottom finder. My big battery is rated 7ah & measures 4"h x 6" x 2.5". I charge it with a standard trickle charger from an auto parts store. I make a habit of charging it as soon as I get home after using it. 2-years in, so far, so good.

I have used alot of AGMs, they are a solid choice, but heavy weight. Lithium batteries are already in our phones, As Lithium technology, safety and manufacturing continues to improve, look fwd to the price drop so that these light weight alternatives can become the norm for our kayaks.