Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

01/017/17 Looking for a snapper bite repeat of last trip.

My Canadian friends and crew are back. When are we going fishing they ask, as soon as they arrive. Well Jan. 17 weather looked promising so we set the date. Mean low tide till around noon very little tide movement till almost 1:00 and the moon was still very bright at night. Too late to change so it was a crew of 4 on board. Run out was not as flat as I had hoped so it was a slower ride out. Set up in 50 feet same spot as last time where the Lanes should be: screen looked good fish were there, dropped down chum bag they were not in the mood to eat. Moved a few times to a good fish show and bottom they did start to eat, Not what I was looking for. sand perch after sand perch came over the side, some porgys and nice grunts, add a trigger and red shorts into the mix. Not one lane snapper. Did land little Tunny and Richard lost another to a break off. Also a big remora hit the deck. they found it interesting when I showed them how it could latch on to the deck so hard they could not pull it off till it released on its own. Time to move to the same spot that gave us a limit last week later in the day. Still no lanes bummer. One last try. The screen had a great show of fish it was more sand perch the second your bait got close to the bottom it was fish on if there were six rods in the water there were six perch on. Mix in a few red shorts. Now my crew ask me why are we not keeping them? Are they not good to eat? No they have really white meat very mild flavor. Then they tell me that the cold lakes they fish up north on most of the perch the same size if not smaller and when ice fishing they are happy to just catch a few of the size we are throwing back. Now some are going in the box.
So now Leonard figured the bite was so hot he was just going to us a bare silver hook and no bait you guessed it fish on over and over, it was hoot . We were all laughing. So now Pat says he will go one better and just drops down an open snap on the end of his line he did get multiple hits but was unable to bring one into the boat. They did clean all their own fish, that put a smile on my face. Thank you Richard for being the Anchor guy.
larrywitt:fishing

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I have never eaten them, but know they are good and are actually related to grouper. Occasionally I catch a fish that looks just like them, but with a mouth more like a lizard fish. Almost looks a hybrid between the two. Anyone else ever get these and know what they are?
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Just mark those spots because when the grouper bite is happening the sand perch are my favorite bait!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 799 Officer
    When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

Sure glad they decided to clean those sand perch themselves!

looks like we have some cruddy weather moving in sunday and blowing thru mid week. :banghead
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Whipachaw,Squirrel fish?
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    fishdish wrote: »
    Whipachaw,Squirrel fish?

That's what we call sand perch around here, which they aren't a squirrel fish at all, and neither is this fish. They look JUST like the sand perch do, but the mouth is less rounded than a sand perch and not as pointy as a lizard fish. They are toothy as well much like a lizard fish is. I don't catch them often but it's always when I am catching sand perch, Its a small enough difference that at first I just thought it was a deformity, but over the years I have boated more which makes me think its a separate species.
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 256 Deckhand
    RMD wrote: »
    Just mark those spots because when the grouper bite is happening the sand perch are my favorite bait!!!

I throw just about every Sand Perch I catch in fish cooler. When I get back to shore and fillet everything up, I filet the Sand Perch filets too. I bag them up and freeze them. The next time I go out I use them for bait. Snapper and Grouper love them.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner

Reel Stout Sportfishing

Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing

www.reelstout.com