Last Week's Expeditions

Was able to squeeze in a few trips in the last week or so..

Hit the Banana with fly rod as the only weapon on board.. Spooked and line slapped a good handful of fish before I connected with one.. My second biggest red on the whip to date..

FB_IMG_1484398733344-1_zpsvlyeb4ip.jpg

Got out in the skeeter lagoon as well and found good a good number of low slot reds but what really had our attention were the 10lb+ trout we were seeing.. I had one track my lure as it threw up a huge submarine wake behind it but it didn't commit.. Tracked it too close to the yak and sensed us and it took off leaving a giant mud cloud.. I think they heard me cussing in new symyrna :rotflmao

FB_IMG_1484398720206-1_zpssf5p6qpi.jpg

FB_IMG_1484398725819-1_zpswalmp8nt.jpg

Went on a snook mission as well but it was real cloudy.. Sun never came out to heat up the skinny water but was able to squeeze one out..

FB_IMG_1484398807248-1_zpsqh3jqryp.jpg

Got out last night under the full moon.. Pretty slow, only got two hits from 8p-12a.. The first of which had my reel screaming and rod so bent the tip was nearly touching the water.. Picked up the rod out of the holder and he was gone.. That hurt my feelings lol because that fish was dumping line, no clue how that hook didn't find purchase.. Got a hook in the next one though..

IMG_20170113_233718775-3_zps70vgc4o3.jpg

Sure is nice to catch something other than drum for a change of pace :grin

Replies

• beachside321beachside321 Posts: 365 Officer
    Solid work as usual :fishing
  • mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Slayer you are an excellent find them and catch them guy. You should be a kayak guide.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,343 Officer
    Nice work!
  • mefullenmefullen Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    In pics 2 & 3, what is that by your hip? Also nice report and nice catchin'
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    mefullen wrote: »
    In pics 2 & 3, what is that by your hip? Also nice report and nice catchin'

That's my push pole on a belt clip
  • GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 102 Deckhand
    That is an absolute BEAST of a red Spacecoast! Id love to find Snook that size without having to take the 'yak to Sebastian. Lol
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    That is an absolute BEAST of a red Spacecoast! Id love to find Snook that size without having to take the 'yak to Sebastian. Lol

There are plenty of big snook in the merritt island/cocoa area in various backwaters and deeper shorelines.. Hard fish to land though, the big ones always own me because I am never ready for em lol.. My biggest landed snook is only 34".. Those ones at 40" and up are completely different beasts..
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Great catches! I was fishing up north in the ML and the water was looking great. Life abounds! Wouldn't it be a treat to catch one of those 10lb trout.. the wake they leave when you spook them..amazing
  • GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 102 Deckhand
    I definitely need to take the time to explore that area thoroughly. I always end up in Titusville fishing the NIRL and Mosquito. I think i'll make it a point to explore new waters this year. Maybe i'll run into you out there some time.