Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Fishing tips near Astor fl on ST Johns river

Me and a couple of fishing buds will be camping on lake Dorr at Dorr cabin and fishing for Crappie which is usually good next week. We were going to rent a pontoon boat in Astor and try fishing in that area. I hear it's going to be frosty cold the first part of the week so will wait till around wed the 1-11 to see if it warms up some. Should we try the river or should we fish lake George? Any ideas will be welcome and thanks in advance. Mike (snapperwhipper)
When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\

Replies

• huntinslabshuntinslabs Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Fish the bumpers at south end river entrance to Lake George as well as the old bombing range. Dexter has been real good as well. Structure on river banks has been great one day and poor the next. Good luck and hope you do well.
  • snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Thanks for the advice will try south end river entrance first. Mostly just want to have some fun and see if we can catch dinner. If you see four fishermen in a 18' pontoon that look lost that us
    Well I have my stuff packed and heading to lake Dorr cabin Sunday Morning. We will be fishing lake Dorr in canoes that come with the cabin and hope to catch a bunch of specks there. Tuesday morning we will head to Astor and pick up our pontoon boat and see how it goes. I will post the results of our trip when I get home next Sat or Sunday.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,799 Moderator
    I will post the results of our trip when I get home next Sat or Sunday.

Good luck !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    Lake Dorr is a beautiful lake.
    Bass fishing ain't the greatest but the scenery is top notch.
    Good luck!
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    It was the cold front, we got to lake Dorr Sunday afternoon and it was chilly and windy so not much fishing took place we had a BIG fire and walked around the hunting trails (last day of deer season). Monday morning it laid down enough to take the canoe with the trolling motor out on lake Dorr but the fish were not ready yet, it was the cold front, not one other person was fishing lake Dorr! Next day was the day we went to Astor to rent the pontoon boat after staying up all night partying and listening to the collage football championship game, not the best idea we ever had. So off we go and now we are ready to catch some crappie for the big fish fry, my crew want's to go the lake Dexter and Woodridge so we head south. We get there and observe what everyone else is doing and where they are fishing, the first thing we see is nobody else is catching any fish either. So we set up our drift so we could be in the same area as everyone else but so close as the get in anyone else's space. Well let,s say the bite was slow and no one was doing much better in fact everyone left at noon. Well we had the boat all day so we went sightseeing on the ST Johns river and it was spectacular. Later we went to the frog leg place on hwy 40 and that was great. So now it's Wednesday and our last full day at lake Dorr and it is like a mirror on lake Dorr so out we go in the canoe and lake Dorr is at it's best I mean the place is unbelievable but only one other boat was fishing and no one was catching any thing. It was the cold front. So now it,s Thursday and we gota go so of course the lake is full and everyone is catching fish. Well we had a GREAT time and lake Dorr cabin is as good as it gets. We will do this again as soon as we can and maybe there wont be a cold front but the cold meant we could have a roaring fire at night and just grove on the beauty of lake Dorr
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,799 Moderator
    Sorry the bite wasn't too good. Game was ! Usually it's "you should have been here yesterday" not "you should have stayed one more". :grin

Thanks for the update. :USA
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    Thats the way it goes! Can be to the Cabin in 3 mins from the front door of the house and can assure you there was plenty to catch in both places that you went. Which restaurant did you go to on 40? Essex?
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif