2017 Shad Run

Has anyone been catching any Shad on the Saint Johns? Got my gear all rigged up and waiting to here there are some fish to catch.

Replies

• trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    It is way easier to catch them if you wait until the summer, they school up off the beach and you can cast net all you want.

Only difference is you have to call them "Pogies"
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,861 Moderator
    It is way easier to catch them if you wait until the summer, they school up off the beach and you can cast net all you want.

Only difference is you have to call them "Pogies"

Wrong species. :) American shad should be getting close . I haven't heard any reports. Yet..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    Coming down to pick up a skiff in Orlando tomorrow. Was hoping to fish Saturday. Catching would be great but also looking forward to just exploring the river some.
  • Mad Man MikeMad Man Mike Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I live in Geneva on the St Johns, Haven't caught any yet. I will be fishing in the morning, I will report any results
    You only live once, give at all you got!
  • KennygKennyg Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Where can I get bait (minnows) around Geneva? Heading to CS Lee Park in the morning from Lakeland.

Thanks
    Kennyg wrote: »
    Where can I get bait (minnows) around Geneva? Heading to CS Lee Park in the morning from Lakeland.

Thanks

Geneva General Store, they have sandwiches to go and live bait. It is a white building on the right just before you go through the Geneva Red Light. I will be fishing Lake Harney in a white 16' center console, and a white dog
  • KennygKennyg Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Great Thanks
  • the_stalkerthe_stalker Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Is there a Shad and Crappie Derby this year? I use to get my token at Mosquito Creek in Apopka, but their closed.
    Found the Shad today. Got them one after another all morning and early afternoon in the river near Mullet Lake
  • crabbycrabby Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    I am a saltwater guy. Why do you catch shad? Fun, food, bait or all of the above ?
    I caught quite a few Shad trolling in Lake Harney for Crappie over the weekend
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,036 Admiral
    crabby wrote: »
    I am a saltwater guy. Why do you catch shad? Fun, food, bait or all of the above ?

They are fun, the eggs are delicious and not for bait.

Captain Todd Approves

Pound for pound, nothing fights harder.
    They can be 2 feet long and weigh 4 to 5 lbs.
    Using a tandem rig, doubles are not uncommon; and on light spinning tackle you get a real fun battle.
    The best fishing is in the middle of the day, when the sun is high in the sky and its nice and warm out.
    Great way to spend a weekend afternoon in the winter when the ocean is not cooperating.
    Thanks for the info about shad. Sounds like a lot of fun. I would like to take my wife and daughter out for some shad fishing. They are not fans of open water fishing, so this might get them on the water.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,315 Admiral
    I caught quite a few Shad trolling in Lake Harney for Crappie over the weekend

Me too, but I was drift fishing w/minnows.
    Were you in one of the boats with one of them 5-rod trolling rigs set up?
  • ThomaswolfeThomaswolfe Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Has anyone been catching any sunshine bass around the mullet lake/lake harney/puzzle area?
    Do the shad make it down to the southern end of the St. Johns river? I been gator hunting a number of times out of Lone Cabbage and Hell n Blazes. I know the river better in this area. Thanks again for any intel.
  • wareagle85wareagle85 Posts: 164 Officer
    Crabby,

In general, they can't get past the weir at Lake Washington unless the water is high (definitely not this year). I know some guys are catching a few around the 520 bridge, but the majority of the fish seem to be around the SR 46 area or SR 50.
    Looks like I am going to need to take a road trip with the family soon. Thanks for the info.
  • hookinthumbhookinthumb Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    We picked up a few near the Econ last Saturday. There were a pile of fish in there but not eating much. Should of gone to Mullet lake I guess.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    crabby wrote: »

They make great bait for lunker bass, also some people eat them pickled or smoked.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    I am shore bound. Can you walk to the mouth of the Little Big Econ through the Little Big Econ forest? Could I expect a reasonable chance of catching one? I am just interested in the sport of it and to be able to add it to my list of fish I caught.

I did contact Little Econ State forest and they told me where I can park off 46. But I also Googled it and the pictures I saw made it look like the walk is a bit muddy and mucky once you get close to the river.

Captain Todd Approves

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,861 Moderator
    "You'll get your weather"
    Thanks! I wonder if you walk in from the park you'll need mud boots? I'm totally ignorant of the area, but it seems on normal years its muddy, so maybe with the water way down it will be dryer land. It's a hike, so its not worth not being prepared for some muck.

Side note, the retention pond by my house that I fish when I need to satisfy a quick itch is way down too. And the bass seem to be a lot less active or at least the action isn't as hot as I expect.

Captain Todd Approves

You can catch them off the bank just north east of the Mullet Lake Boat ramp
    mplspug wrote: »
    I am shore bound. Can you walk to the mouth of the Little Big Econ through the Little Big Econ forest? .

To answer my own question you can hike it from 46. There is a little lot there and it is quite the hike. I suspect most of the time it is even more difficult, but last spring a friend visited in the middle of the drought after the shad run and we had no problem walking thought the pastures. On our way out we crossed a couple bulls who made us a little uneasy. :)

Captain Todd Approves

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,315 Admiral
    Just keep your friend between you and the bull, no problem.
    We went on the other side of the barbed wire that was along the path...into the unkempt brush hiding the rattlers. :hairraiser

Captain Todd Approves