Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

newport or dania piers

Any reports from either pier, macks, blues or pomps.?????
2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 661 Officer
    I don't fish piers but I know the bite was epic a few days last week. I was surf fishing and caught everything thats expected during the run. Good amounts of mullet working south in broward and dade. Conditions were nastyyyyy though.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 559 Officer
    Newport has had blues, ladyfish and some pomps, but I haven't heard of any mackerel, but not many fishing for them while I was there. I did see some mackerel skyrocketing while fishing off the jetty, so they are deff around.

Broward piers seem to be doing well with the mackerel. The wind has been killer, but the fishing has been good.
  • lorellanalorellana Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I'' be heading to dania pier this weekend. will update once I have one. from what I have seen the bite has been good, but that wind has been gusting too.
  • Pompano bite has been epic at Deerfield pier!
  • evernicevernic Posts: 797 Officer
    thaks guys for the response...gotta find some time to go:fishing
    I fished newport pier this morning for a while. Mackerel were around, but not very many caught. Had 3 cut offs and lots of followers.

The west wind had the beach nice and calm. Was kicking myself for not taking the boat out.
    I fished newport pier this morning for a while. Mackerel were around, but not very many caught. Had 3 cut offs and lots of followers.

The west wind had the beach nice and calm. Was kicking myself for not taking the boat out.

I know how that can be...thanks...clear water is tough for mackerel.
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 250 Deckhand
    evernic wrote: »
    I know how that can be...thanks...clear water is tough for mackerel.

the Wed before last was epic on Anglins. Started off with 4 straight macks, then ladyfish and jacks for about an hour. Then mullet showed up and under them were pomps....almost all undersize, but if you worked hard you could find keeper or two. Also with the mullet came a million bluefish that stayed for the next 3 hours (at least)...when I left. You could catch one on every cast with anything you wanted to throw at them. Also saw a group of tarpon rolling. Went back three days later on Sat. Wind was still blowing, but no mullet or bluefish, but the macks were skyrocketing all over the place. They were tough to catch though (I got 3)....I think they were keyed in on glass minnows and they were swinging and missing a lot on gotchas or anything for that matter...maybe the water was too stirred up for them to see.
    the Wed before last was epic on Anglins. Started off with 4 straight macks, then ladyfish and jacks for about an hour. Then mullet showed up and under them were pomps....almost all undersize, but if you worked hard you could find keeper or two. Also with the mullet came a million bluefish that stayed for the next 3 hours (at least)...when I left. You could catch one on every cast with anything you wanted to throw at them. Also saw a group of tarpon rolling. Went back three days later on Sat. Wind was still blowing, but no mullet or bluefish, but the macks were skyrocketing all over the place. They were tough to catch though (I got 3)....I think they were keyed in on glass minnows and they were swinging and missing a lot on gotchas or anything for that matter...maybe the water was too stirred up for them to see.

nice fatties...those eat real good...when they're feeding on glass minnows, crocodiles work well, usually thanks for report
    update 11-18-16 sunny isles Newport pier...nada on any kind of lure, saw 2 macks on live bait, but bait was scarce..
    I've been a few times, and more times than not, it's been dead. A Mack/bluefish here and there on live bait, but very slow other wise.
    anyone fishing dania pier???
  • lorellanalorellana Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I'll most likely be at newport next weekend. I don't expect it to be any good at all, but will let you know.
    (to the fork) 22 in mack and 13 in pomp came home with me from anglins on Sun morning. catch em up. Mack's belly was full of shrimp.
  • paulrxppaulrxp Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    I've been a few times, and more times than not, it's been dead. A Mack/bluefish here and there on live bait, but very slow other wise.

Not sure exactly what it is, so i'm open to theories. I've fished Newport since the 80's, there's something just not right about the bait situation. It's not even just near the pier, but surrounding waters just off the pier.
    (to the fork) 22 in mack and 13 in pomp came home with me from anglins on Sun morning. catch em up. Mack's belly was full of shrimp.

nice catch Tuna...late for the pomp...but it's hooter than usual
    I'll let everyone think it's late or early, but I've found when conditions are right in late dec and in Jan, they are around. First pomp I ever caught was the first week in Jan 2 or 3 yrs ago...and I went 4/6 that day on pomps on fleas (nobody else was trying until my 4th came up...by then it was too late). This one was on a jig.
    I'll let everyone think it's late or early, but I've found when conditions are right in late dec and in Jan, they are around. First pomp I ever caught was the first week in Jan 2 or 3 yrs ago...and I went 4/6 that day on pomps on fleas (nobody else was trying until my 4th came up...by then it was too late). This one was on a jig.

yeah...things change...in the 70's macks ended usually by thanksgiving...in '82 I caught 100 at dania pier in january.!