Alligator Creek RED TIDE, progress report Dec 13th

Rotten, smelly mullet all up and down Alligator Creek. Only interesting observation of note is the hundreds, upon hundreds of vultures roosting both sides of the creek.

To complicate matters, full scale channel dredging is ongoing and the floating silt barriers are preventing the dead fish from washing out of the creek into the harbor and oblivion!

Right now the Dec/Jan Alligator Creek trout bash looks like a non-happening!
A Sea Strike 18 , A Calm Wife and a Spunky Cairn Terrier. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,857 Captain
    Not likely due to red tide, it's not salty enough for the it.
    More likely male mullet discarded by net fishermen, they only keep the females for their roe.
    Jim
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,940 Captain
    There has been red tide in Alligator Creek the last few weeks, but it has been slowly dissipating. The rotten Mullet from more than a week ago are probably due to the red tide, but the fresh dead Mullet I've encountered (only dead fish i've encountered there in more than a week) are all white roe (male Mullet) and commercial netting has been ongoing in Alligator Creek and PGI even though it's illegal. As far as the dredging goes its' only on a small scale and those barriers are not having much of a difference regarding the flushing of the creek or the deceased Mullet. Regarding the Trout issue the time frame changes from year to year with the timing of the cold fronts. The last few years they have not been in there till January/February, but it changes yearly with the temps.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,819 AG
    Please report to FWC.
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    There has been red tide in Alligator Creek the last few weeks, but it has been slowly dissipating. The rotten Mullet from more than a week ago are probably due to the red tide, but the fresh dead Mullet I've encountered (only dead fish i've encountered there in more than a week) are all white roe (male Mullet) and commercial netting has been ongoing in Alligator Creek and PGI even though it's illegal. As far as the dredging goes its' only on a small scale and those barriers are not having much of a difference regarding the flushing of the creek or the deceased Mullet. Regarding the Trout issue the time frame changes from year to year with the timing of the cold fronts. The last few years they have not been in there till January/February, but it changes yearly with the temps.

West,
    I've been around for a while and I've never seen red tide effects as far up in the Harbor as Alligator Creek.
    Jim
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    West,
    I've been around for a while and I've never seen red tide effects as far up in the Harbor as Alligator Creek.
    Jim

I can assure you Jim that there was red tide in Alligator Creek and PGI up till about a week ago. I too have been around here for a while and enjoyed growing up on the water here and have been lucky enough to spend most of my adult life thus far working on these waters. All you need to do is check the MyFWC website to access the red tide sampling surveys.
    West,
    It's very unusual to find red tide that far up in the estuary.
    Could it be that the lack of rain has raised the salinity???
    Jim
    I agree, it's very unusual. Not sure why
  • jaydubjaydub Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Most likely red tide. FWC has had medium levels of red tide reported in Charlotte Harbor and over 26,000 pounds of dead mullet have been pulled out of the Punta Gorda Isles canals in the last 10 days. I helped with the cleanup and it was unbelievable. Salinity in Charlotte harbor is real high right now since we haven't had rain in a couple of months. Punta Gorda feedback has been this hasn't been seen here in over 30 years. FWC is very pulled into what happened here.