Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking For Used Yak

I'm thinking about getting my son a used fishing kayak for Christmas. I can't afford a new one. Craigslist had one for $500 which seemed like a good price but it was sold. Saw a few that were cheaper but they didn't seem to be set up for fishing. Does anyone know where to look for a used one besides Craigslist? What brands sell the fishing kayak so I know what I'm looking for? The one I saw was a Wilderness System Angler Kayak.
Grasshopper

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,618 Captain
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    Thanks 4WARD. I wrote to him and waiting to see what he wants for the yak. It sounds perfect as long as he doesn't want an arm and a leg.
    Grasshopper
    Looks like Yak is in Palm Beach?
    Grasshopper
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    There are a few different styles. Depends on what y'all want to do. Sit in, sit on top, hybrid. I have a native ultimate (hybrid). I like it a lot. No wet butt and you can stand( sight fishing and finding down ducks). Mine doesn't self bail, so not ideal for surf of open water. Try wilderness way near tally, they can demo them so you can try different styles and they sell used yaks ( pretty sure). You can get a lot of used kayak for $500. Good luck
    http://www.thewildernessway.net/
    You should have been here yesterday
    I'm starting to think a kayak may not be such a good idea. I'm seeing a lot of wet butt comments the more I look. I can see my son out there and it's in the 50's and his jeans soaking wet. That don't sound like fishing, that sounds like hypothermia. Maybe a 10ft. Jon boat is a better option. Except a battery and trolling motor and it's getting expensive again.
    Grasshopper
    Gator4Life wrote: »
    I'm starting to think a kayak may not be such a good idea. I'm seeing a lot of wet butt comments the more I look. I can see my son out there and it's in the 50's and his jeans soaking wet. That don't sound like fishing, that sounds like hypothermia. Maybe a 10ft. Jon boat is a better option. Except a battery and trolling motor and it's getting expensive again.

No wet butt in the newer native,Jackson or other Yaks with an elevated seat. It didn't take long for companies to start working that out. It's a good idea to wear waterproof pants when yakking in the cold cause the paddle will get the tops of your legs wet. Look into a used 12' native ultimate. Native has a forum, may find a great deal on one
  • Hanapa'aHanapa'a Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Remember the kayak is the not the only $$$ Paddles are sold seperate as is the seat. As for the wet butt, I use wine or champane corks to plug the drain holes. Good Luck.
  • JtsJts Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Have a couple of kayaks PM sent.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,977 Admiral
    You couldn't pay me to paddle a water craft. Just too uncomfortable unless you are in a no motor zone. Jon boat is the way to go.
    AC Man wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me to paddle a water craft. Just too uncomfortable unless you are in a no motor zone. Jon boat is the way to go.

When was the last time you were in a decent kayak? Now they are making them very comfortable. The effort to paddle is similar to walking. With that said, we fish out of a jon boat more than our yaks, bay boat and offshore boat put together.
    AC Man wrote: »

Yeah. I've tried it twice and my back just can't take it. Me and my son never seem to have the same days off to go fish in my boat. He's been fishing from the banks of local ponds and lakes so I'm sure he would enjoy getting a yak or Jon boat.
    Grasshopper
  • Ty ParkerTy Parker Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Gator4Life wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting my son a used fishing kayak for Christmas. I can't afford a new one. Craigslist had one for $500 which seemed like a good price but it was sold. Saw a few that were cheaper but they didn't seem to be set up for fishing. Does anyone know where to look for a used one besides Craigslist? What brands sell the fishing kayak so I know what I'm looking for? The one I saw was a Wilderness System Angler Kayak.

I have a kayak that I will part with, if interested contact me at [email protected] and I will provide photos. Used one time and I did not get a wet butt.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    When was the last time you were in a decent kayak? Now they are making them very comfortable. The effort to paddle is similar to walking. With that said, we fish out of a jon boat more than our yaks, bay boat and offshore boat put together.

I have a cheap Big Box store kayak. I find it uncomfortable. Folks have advised me to try a comfortable kayak, that I might like it.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,672 Moderator
    Ty Parker wrote: »
    I have a kayak that I will part with, if interested contact me at [email protected] and I will provide photos. Used one time and I did not get a wet butt.

We do have a trade and sell section. Just sayin.
    "You'll get your weather"
    I did decide on a kayak. Had several offers and couldn't make up my mind but thanks to a forum member I got a good deal on this one. My son is going to love it.
    Grasshopper
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,659 Captain
    I'm sure he'll love it. I bought a kayak 15 years ago to fish places I can't get to in my real boat. I fish the N GA rivers all summer and have a ball, catch lots of fish and see very few people. I'm also an old fart. CIMG3289_zpskrcmvnie.jpg