Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Skyway to Egmont

Fished yesterday morning, hit the bay at 0630 with 2 dozen pins, a dozen shrimp and a good attitude. Small whitecaps, some rollers out there early but it calmed down a little after 1000. first stop my son got a bluefish, so at least the skunk was off. 2nd spot nothing, moved back to calmer waters as it was really bad for a 17' boat, if you haven't been in that area when it's blowing you'd be surprised how choppy bay waters can be.

After it calmed down a little we went back and drifted a channel marker, my son got a 22" gag on a pinfish that had very little life left in it. Caught it on 12lb cajun line with a 30lb mono leader, that leader was beat to death by the time we got him to the boat. Measured him once, then again. Too small, sighed and sent him on his way. Caught a lizardfish, which we used for cut bait. Made 2 more passes on the bouy, there was another boat out there with us and i hope he did better than we did, but better to catch a grouper than not. marked a few fish on the finder we thought could be kings but the baits we had drifting were never touched. Water temp was 66.4 degrees. No keepers but still fun to get out on the water, it had been a while. Love fishing the bay, you never know what you might hook.

And if whoever was piloting the "phantom" you sir are a gentlemen. That thing is huge and you could have thrown a bad wake at us coming in but you slowed down very politely, and even though it wouldn't matter to you we did the same. Tip my hat to you sir. Actually everyone we met on the water was nice yesterday in passing. Great day out on the bay even with no keepers.
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,775 AG
    598f919211fedc993132b5316a591d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • wojtek9321wojtek9321 Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Good job braving the cold and getting some fishing done. I need to make it out there again before the year ends.
    The Fleet
    1989 Chris Craft Seahawk 215
    2004 250HP Yamaha HPDI

2000 Polar 1886 Saltwater Skiff
    2000 90HP Yamaha 2S
    Before November we went 4 times and every time we went we caught Spanish Mackerel. The past two times not one, i'm not sure what the deal is there. Maybe they just prefer Greenbacks to Pins. Oniel's doesn't sell greenbacks. It was nice and overcast yesterday too, wasn't to hot once the sun came up but it wasn't really cold it was about 73. perfect fishing weather.
  • TightLinesGuyTightLinesGuy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I was out there yesterday as well in an Action Craft 1802 trying to troll up something. Had a hard hit that left some nice teeth marks in the X-rap but no hookup. After a couple hours in those conditions yesterday with a flats boat and I had enough.
    I would have chickened out in a flats boat. We don't really have trolling gear, I bought my son a Penn Fierce II combo and 300yds of 30lb braid so we will have a setup for next year but we were just drifting past the marker bouys.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Nice job, man! Have caught nice ones around both of the first two markers inside the bridge
    Poke around there and see what there is to see.
    Have bounced large jigs and live baited with good results
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,208 Moderator
    As the saying goes, "a bad day fishing is better than...". Hopefully the Gags will show up in full force before the New Year.
    GratefulEd wrote: »
    Nice job, man! Have caught nice ones around both of the first two markers inside the bridge
    Poke around there and see what there is to see.
    Have bounced large jigs and live baited with good results

This one was caught on a live pin, with a 1/2oz egg to get it down in the water column. I had my other setup as a 1/5oz bucktail with a pinfish nose hooked behind it. I had a couple of very solid strikes on that setup but spit the hooks before i could set them.