any suggestions for snorkel and mask

Nick_BrutonNick_Bruton Posts: 28 Greenhorn
So I've never really gotten into snorkeling until now, so I'm looking for a mask and snorkel set for me, and for a girl. Any suggestions on brands and what not that wont break the bank? Obviously you get what you pay for and I wont hesitate to drop some money on a nice set that wont fog up and leak in deeper water. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Replies

• stussingstussing Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I suggest that you go to a dive shop so that you can get fitted to a mask. I would not worry about brand. I would worry about fit, comfort, and features. A mask that does not fit well will leak or be uncomfortable/hurt to wear.
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    My boat got broken into and they stole all my fishing tackle and my dive mask. It took a really long time to find a mask that seals around my mustache!. I had a spare mask home. One for the boat and one for the car. I found another mask ( the same make and model) on e bay! Happy days! It's a Nicona Nica RS. Nothing fancy but comfortable and non leaking around my stash! For a snorkel I just use a cheapo straight tube.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,306 Moderator
    stussing wrote: »
    I suggest that you go to a dive shop so that you can get fitted to a mask. I would not worry about brand. I would worry about fit, comfort, and features. A mask that does not fit well will leak or be uncomfortable/hurt to wear.

I second this.

I prefer a black mask over a clear one as I like to spearfish and it helps me see better particularly in low light conditions. I rarely wear a snorkel but when I do, I prefer a basic, no-frills model. I don't care for the ones with fancy purges. Just a tube with a mouthpiece.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida