IPad for gps

holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
I was looking into getting an Ipad for to run Bluecharts on.I saw on amazon you can buy an external GPS anteana for it.Has anyone used these or know how to set up it up.I want to use it as a portable way have my numbers since I fish on other peoples boats.

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,875 Admin
    I think that you may still have to stay within Cell Tower or WiFi range as most iphone apps are stored on the cloud and only the shortcut is stored locally.
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 733 Officer
    I'm not sure how it works with other apps, but the Navionics app on my iPad works well offshore, outside of any cell tower or wifi range. The GPS has me dead on. I have some screenshots somewhere around here of us in the middle of the Gulf traveling 18 knots and no land anywhere close by.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,053 Officer
    Those apps work of the GPS signals from the satellites. If your IPad has GPS service you will be connected.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
    thanks guys for info,I'd hate to have to pay for service.My iphone when 45 miles works on airplane mode just the screen is small.Thanks once again lots of great info here.