Home General Paddle Craft

GPS for camping/kayaking trips

Hey everybody,
My brother and I are trying to plan a trip up to Canaveral National Seashore in February to do the backcountry thing for a few days.
I was looking at handheld GPS units for the trip, since it looks like a good place to get turned around.
Does anybody have any recommendations on which GPS would be best for something like this?
I don't need anything too fancy. I was looking at Garmin eTrex 10 or 20x.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys

Replies

• oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    I use an app called backcountry navigator on my phone. It cost 10$ and lets you download various map tiles ahead of time (while you have cell service). It lets you choose between aerial photos or tons of different maps, nautical charts, USGS survey maps and the like. It will breadcrumb trail at set intervals to ping your location and conserve battery power (even in airplane mode). Couple that with a USB battery pack or solar charger and you're good to go. You can also use the GPS in your fishfinder. Navionics also has a similar app that is more geared towards marine information for power boaters.
  • pklaceypklacey Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks Oarknot,
    I was thinking about using my phone, but battery and data were the big issues.
    I have a solar charger, but had no clue they could do that from airplane mode, so that solves both of those.
    My fishfinder is just one of those portable Deeper fishfinders, so no luck there.
    I appreciate the help, I'll have to check out the app.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,452 Officer
    Since I don't have a smart phone I use an e-trex 20. 2 AAs last a long time. My Garmin sounder went out on my bassboat and I got the e-trex, copied the waypoints over and use it as a chart. Great unit IMO.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I fish MIWR often and can tell you cell phone service is spotty at best. I use T Mobile so don't know if it is an issue with my carrier or just the area in general.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!