Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wading Flats, December 2016

Hey peeps!

I was wondering if anyone has been fishing any of the flats near the Skyway/Desoto area. If so how is the bite right now? Is it worth a trip up to any of the flats or has it been slow due to winter months? I have been fishing the Manatee River as of late and have been catching Large LadyFish, Puffer, Catfish, Rays, Drum, Snapper, and the occasional Snook. Looking to try the flats to diversify but not trying to waste my precious days off of work! Any input is welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 708 Officer
    I haven't been out in a while, but there is no reason to think that the fish have bailed out of the flats. Still haven't had any real cold fronts and it looks like the one coming in has gotten nerfed, so the flats should still be good. Until we get a cold front that has the natives shivering and gardeners scrambling to bring in their plants, nothing should really change that much.
  • GSRswapandslowGSRswapandslow Posts: 120 Deckhand
    I'll be down there on the 18th....planning on wading green key
  • Draydawg13Draydawg13 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thank you, Kokosing Lover for the advice and heads up on the cold front. I think I will go out this weekend and do a little wading around the Desoto Flats. I've heard good things about the flats up there! I'll post pictures and a report if I can hook-up with anything good!

Really appreciate it when someone can give me a few pointers. Fishing has recently become my obsession as of late!

Tines lines bud!