Repower of my 1890

longbow5920longbow5920 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Finally have to bite the bullet and Repower my 1890. It currently has a 1998 Mercury efi 200hp and it stopped working this past weekend. I'm not too sure what the issue is, but it was making a rattling noise just before it shut down and now won't start. after considering a trade to a different boat, I can't find anything I like as much as my 1890. Rather than throwing any more money into a 18 year old engine I've decided to Repower. I've been researching options and am a little surprised at how impressed I am with Suzuki. Their 200hp Inline 4 is 490lbs and seems like a good fit.

Is anyone running that engine currently? I would like to get some feedback on how this performs from any AC enthusiasts before I plunk down the cash for this model.

Thx

Chris

Replies

• DanOmiteDanOmite Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I have a 98' 1890SE. The guy I bought it from re-powered in 2006 with Yami F150. I have never owned a 4 stroke before this.....man have I been missing out. If you can get used to the great gas mileage, quietness, and alot less smoke, then its well worth the money. You will lose some hole shot, but can be made up with 4 blade prop.

Suzuki are good motor from what I know....Buddy of mine had twin 140 4-strokes on his offshore rig. Had well over 1K hours without any major issues, only regular maint stuff. Never left him stranded.

IMO 150Hp is enough for the 1890SE unless you want some top gun speed. But 490Lbs for a 200Hp motor is **** good. Only thing the Suzuki doesnt have is low water pickup, if not running a jack plate than it doesnt matter. Solid choice for a motor IMO.

Just curious what are they charging for that motor plus rigging and controls?
  • dholleydholley Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Why not look at the 175 ProXS (430 lb) or the 200 ProXS (505lb)? That way you can keep the rigging and controls. Unless your dead set on going to a four stroke, I would be looking at lightweight V-6 2-strokes.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    My 2009 1890se is powered with an Evinrude 150HO e-tec. I'm very happy. If I chose the engine package, I would have put a 200 on it. I think with a larger engine the sweet spot for longer runs would be a bit more fuel efficient. I would probably go with a G2. A neighbor down the canal had a small bay boat with a Suzuki 4 stroke on it. I couldn't get over how quiet it was, for a 2 stroke mine is the quietest in the neighbor hood and I do use the hole shot a lot to get up and on plane quick in shallower water. Just my 2 cents.
  • LongbowLongbow Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Update

I decided to go with the Suzuki. I really wanted to go 4 stroke so the Merc pro XS was out and the Yamaha in line 4 was quite a bit more expensive, and the Suzuki came with a 6 year warranty. I hope to have the boat back this week and out on the water this weekend. After the break in period I'll post some performance info. The dealer is also going to replace my old hatch pulls with new gem lux, so once I get her back, it will be like having a new boat!

Thanks for the input.
    25 hour update

After switching props twice, i settled for the 16x21.5. I get 52 top end at 6200rpm, cruise at 40mph around 4500rpm.

The suzuki 200hp inline 4 is about 80lbs heavier then then the 200 efi but the torque is significantly more. Overall after 25 hrs im much happier with this new 4stroke engine than the 18 year old 2 stroke( go figure).
    I couldnt be happier with the service of Dell marine in jax. Frank was a great advisor and delivered on every commitment he made as to priciing and timing. They also put all new hatch pulls on, replacing the old corroded ones. Its literally like having a new boat.
    New engine, new motorguide ipilot trolly motor, new power pole, new hatch covers, new batteries, new charger.

Even though the new engine is heavier, the boat rides like a champ. I had it at wot this weekend in a slight chop and i was able to skip across the top with zero spray.
    I really love this hull.
    Thanks for the advice from fellow AC owners through the process!

Tight lines

Christian
  • DanOmiteDanOmite Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Glad to hear that motor is working out ok. I am def surprised at the prop u are spinning. That is a really big prop.... I'm surprised u only get 52 mph at 6200RPM. With that pitch and hp I figured u would be in the upper 50's. You trimmed out all the way?
  • SEAVEE 34SEAVEE 34 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Is this a red boat that came from Wellington?
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,815 Captain
    Your setup seems way off. I have a different hull entirely (Lake and Bay Backwater 20) and I'm swinging a large prop (15 1/8" x 24 4-blace Bravo XS) and 15 1/8" diameter is a huge prop for a flats boat. And that's bolted to a 250 Pro XS.

Most 18-19' flats boats for 150-200hp are turning props in the 14 1/4 to 14 5/8" props. A 16" prop should be on a tug boat, not an 1890 with 200hp.

And 52mph on an 1890 with a 200 is not right, either. I've seen many 1890s with 200 3.3L yamaha 200 HPDIs run 60 with a full tournament load. I wouldn't expect a 200 4 stroke to run with a big block HPDI but 52mph at 6200 rpms is way, way off. You're leaving a lot on the table with that prop.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to get the most out of your setup.
    Sorry guys, havent been back to the site in a while. To answer the above posts, yes i purchased from a gentleman in wellington.

As to the prop/speed post, you are 100% correct. Im certainly leaving performace on the table and will change props, but its a project like anything else boat realted. I will hopefully have time this summer.
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I get 52 with an 1890 running a merc 150 5 stroke. You should get a min. of 60 properly trimmed with that huge engine.