Home Off Topic

Hey Menzies! Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,218 AG
I know it is nOt a holiday in the old country, but have you adopted it as a holiday?

Also, why is the first Monday in May, June, August a holiday in Ireland?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    We do, all three children are 'mericans.

May Day is traditionally the spring festival across Europe.It has been adopted as Labor Day in many countries but started off as a Spring festival, which its still is in the British Isles.

The June one is derived from Pentecost, or Whit Monday and was a church day, which was later formalized by the government as a national day off.

The August bank holiday, which was the best one for us because that's when we held the annual regattas on Lough Swilly, I think was just an end of summer holiday as the schools in Ireland start again in mid August.

But frankly, the big holiday holiday for us is Christmas. One of the telling differences between us and our neighbors is that, when given a choice of when the children can come home because of dueling commitments, most here would want them on Thanksgiving rather than Christmas. We would easily let them go somewhere else on Thanksgiving but ask them to be home for Christmas.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,218 AG
    I always thought we needed an August Holiday here

Mini Mart Magnate

• SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Anchor babies?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,218 AG
    I have a vendor from England and he always works Thanksgiving. I was joking about why didn't he celebrate Thanksgiving, he said they do, just six weeks earlier when the pilgrims left England.

Mini Mart Magnate