Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

sta questions

sleepydeersleepydeer Posts: 60 Greenhorn
Hey guys, I'm a seasoned duck hunter but never been in an sta. I have a quota this weekend for 3/4 and before I bother to try fwc with questions figured I'd try here first. Questions are-
When you bring two guests do you have to all be in the same boat or can you bring multiple?
Is it mostly wade hunting or do you stay in your boats? I was considering bringing a little john boat with a blind on it rather than canoes. I want to bring my kids and it would be easier to hunt from a boat with them.
Can I drop the boat off and then go park if needed? It sounds like parking is one of the biggest concerns to get in?
Anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• phonzu2phonzu2 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    You can bring multiple boats in but only one vehicle in per permit hokder. Mostly wading, we only use the boat to get across the 10ft long canal then it's just used to drag gear. If it's easier to hunt from a Jon boat with the kids then then go for it, just cover up well. Parking is easy, you get in line, drive up and pick your number, drive to your number, park and unload. Yes if needed you can drop off the boat then park at your number as long as you're not in someone else's spot, although we stick to the number out of courtesy and try to stray into someone else's territory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
  • sleepydeersleepydeer Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Great thanks phonzu. Any idea how deep most of the hunting area is right now? I'm assuming I'll be dragging the kids in the boat.. I'm all for sticking to your assigned area, I hunt Lake O a lot and wish people could learn to respect others hunting space. I've almost been killed out there a few times. Its hard to get kids into hunting when your scared to bring them along or they've had the life scared out of them. Thanks again, I think that's it for my list of stupid questions.
  • phonzu2phonzu2 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    3ft on average, waist deep for adults. Not stupid questions you just are uneducated on that area but after this weekend you will be fully knowledgeable, it's not as hard as you think, enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 105 Deckhand
    I hunted 1W and 5 this past weekend. Hydrilla was topping most of the cells in 1. Paddling was extremely difficult, walking the same. Areas of 5 were deep enough for easy paddling, but there were certainly areas where it was super thick too. I would go as light as possible, drafting the least amount of water you can. Can't speak on 3/4, but 1W and 5 were similar.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,423 Captain
    AM or PM hunt sleepy?
  • sleepydeersleepydeer Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    pm on Friday. what are you guys putting in your spread down there?
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,423 Captain
    PM youll have the advantage of daylight. I dont want anyone coming in close to me either so I seek areas too far or hidden and dont put out all decoys until the last minute in case I have to move. Id rather just move than try to get someone else to move.

As far as boat the canoe will be the best bet especially if you need to move through thick stuff. A push pole will help. I used to push the canoe into the cattails so the only the front was sticking out a bit then sit my kid in the seat with some fronds around them. I would stand in the water next to them. Thick catttails will stabilize it enough for them to shoot.

Good luck!