Home Off Topic

Prayers for the San Antonio police officer's family and loved ones

coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
SAN ANTONIO (WOAI) - An officer was shot and killed Sunday outside San Antonio Police Headquarters.

“It's everyone's worst nightmare,” said San Antonio Police Chief William McManus.

Chief McManus explained that at about 11:40 a.m. an officer had pulled over a driver for a traffic infraction downtown, near police headquarters off South Santa Rosa Avenue and West Nueva Street. The officer was in his car writing up the ticket when a black vehicle pulled up behind his patrol vehicle. The suspect exited his vehicle, walked up to the driver's window of the patrol vehicle and fired once, shooting the officer in the head. He reached in again and fired a second time.

The suspect then returned to his vehicle, drove through the police parking lot, and left the scene.

The officer, a 20-year veteran, was rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

The suspect is a black male, about 5-foot-7. He was initially described as clean-shaven, but police now say he has a beard. He was wearing a gray shirt with black pants and driving a black Toyota or Nissan vehicle. The chief said they have no motive for the shooting at this time, but there are several angles they're looking at.

“It's always difficult, especially in this day and age where police are being targeted across the country,” said Chief McManus.

If you have any information about the suspect or the incident, you're asked to call 210-224-STOP.

"Cecilia and I extend our deepest condolences to the victim's family and harshly condemn this horrific act of violence. We ask that all Texans join us in praying for the officer's loved ones as they deal with the aftermath of this unimaginable tragedy. Attacks against law enforcement officers will not be tolerated in Texas and must be met with swift justice, which is why I look forward to signing my Police Protection Act into law - making targeted attacks against law enforcement a hate crime," said Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in a statement.

"I want to extend my deepest condolences to the family of the officer killed outside police headquarters today as well as to our entire police force. This type of crime cannot and will not be tolerated. I ask for the community's thoughtfulness and patience as the investigation continues and SAPD searches for the suspect," said San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor in a statement.

“We are saddened by the tragic and senseless death of an SAPD officer, whose life was cut short today while serving our community. This irrational and malicious act which took the life of one who puts his life on the line each day to serve and protect is shocking to all of us," said Bexar County Sheriff Susan Pamerleau in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with this officer, his family, and all who serve with him. The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office is actively looking for the suspect and assisting SAPD in the search for this person or persons, and ready to assist in any way.”
169304.GIF

Replies