A Calm Between Two Storms

After watching the Florida Keys wind reports for the past month, I felt no great urgency to leave Nova Scotia any earlier than planned. But our timing was perfect and after a 2500 mile, four and a half day drive, we arrived at the Jolly Roger Travel Park in Marathon, on Monday, Nov 7, to a forecast of calm weather. We quickly unpacked, picked up the Grunt Queen early on Tuesday, complete with new plugs, good compression and a new lower unit and the assembly and re-organizing of all things holy to a reef trip addict began.
On my final outing of our last winter's Florida stay, way back in April, I had trouble locating fish and when my motor sounded like there was a bicycle chain wrapped up in the prop, I calmly and wisely puttered the 15 miles home, loaded the Grunt Queen for summer storage at Shelter Bay Marina and puttered another 10 miles to safety. All at the blistering speed of about 3 knots, just enough to overcome the gentle current at Vaca Cut, meanwhile, tapping a drum beat on the steering wheel to match the tempo of the tortured and complaining lower unit.
So Wednesday, my shrimping buddy, Claiborne, and I caught live ballyhoo and pin fish and headed to the Promised Land. I didn't start the fish-finding off any better than It ended off in the spring, stopping several times with no bite, until the swells took their toll on my fishing buddy and we headed home fish-less and him empty of breakfast.
Thursday, bright and early, I headed out solo and anchored near one of the hundred spots, where I once caught a fish or two, hoping there was someone home. After patiently waiting, I decided to move and reeled in my chicken rig, with 8 ounces of lead at the bottom and three intact baits on shiny new number 5 hooks, still waiting to be tasted. I left my mutton rig on the bottom as I prepared to depart, number 8 circle hook, complete with my day old, half a ballyhoo. Just as I reached to reel it in, something ran off with the bait and really objected to my attempts to bring it to the surface. I knew the feel and really held my breath, watching for some color down deep in the water. The something turned out to be a beautiful 25 inch mutton snapper, probably 8-9 pounds and I quickly aborted moving. Next drop, a 21 inch mutton met the same fate. I felt like the king of the world!
My chicken rig was producing small yellowtails and a decent 18 inch, tasty, speckled grouper, a "strawberry" grouper. A more urgent pull yielded a double header of 16 inch muttons, to complete the catching for the day. I belted out my rendition of "We are the champions" all the way home, trying to out sing my motor, as happy as it gets.
Friday, solo, skunked.
Saturday, solo, spotty fishing, two muttons, 18" and 16", two mangroves, 18" and 16", two hog fish, 12" and 13". Hog fish for supper, yummy! Oh yes, I had mackerel jumping right behind the boat, reached for a rod in the cuddy and four were tangled together. A piece of 1x4 and a 2" plumbing pipe and no more tangles!
Sunday was calm, but I took a day off, intentionally. Getting old and needed to make sure I hadn't blown a gasket or something and didn't realize it.
Monday, another buddy, Randy, and I ventured out, after some mild objection from him about leaving his new pass time he laughingly calls "Go sit on the couch", (inside joke) we were vowing to ninja blast anything swimming and instead, were met with looming defeat after three or four fish less stops. I called my old standby spot into action and it was marking fish! A quick drift over yielded three vermilion snappers in the cooler, so we excitedly employed my less than perfect anchoring skills in 120 feet of water, with the current and wind opposing each other, which left us 60 feet away from the small target, but still on a few fish. About a dozen lane snappers, up to 14" got ninja'd, along with a couple legal mangroves and a couple 14" hog fish to round it up.
Tuesday, yesterday, I was on the reef, solo, by 8 AM , in a bit bumpier water than I expected, still waiting for a fish after three different spots. Finally, my mutton rig screamed at me, but it was tangled in the bottom and cut me off. The gnarly bottom robbed a couple more nice, unidentified fish from the cooler. Another 14" hog fish surrendered to the cooler and I headed home, knowing the wind would be returning tomorrow and hanging around for a while. What a great week!
Halfway to Long Key bridge, with huge, black, rain clouds peeing down water, which seemed to be coming my way, the prop stopped spinning and the engine roared. I anchored, chummed and caught little blue runners, cleaned the boat and waited for a free cab ride from Tow Boat US. A two and a half hour ride to Shelter Bay gave me lots of time to re-rig all the damaged gear. Quick diagnosis says it's a broken vertical drive shaft, under warranty.
My only regret? I should have trolled on the way, behind the tow boat.
I'm a happy camper!
Cameron

Replies

• globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Nice to see the Grunt Queen had some action. Crazy windy fall.
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    Dang nice fish and your write-ups are always a special treat to read. I'm looking forward to more of them!
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 450 Deckhand
    It was all cool and happy until the picture of the tow rope. Sadness. LOL. At least you were well fed.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 504 Officer
    Nice to see the Grunt Queen had some action. Crazy windy fall.

We'll get our breaks in the wind.
    Northern wrote: »
    Dang nice fish and your write-ups are always a special treat to read. I'm looking forward to more of them!

Thanks, the fishing trip isn't complete till the report is written. I love reading other people's reports when I'm not lucky enough to be out there myself.
    It was all cool and happy until the picture of the tow rope. Sadness. LOL. At least you were well fed.

Sometimes there is a lump in the dough. First time I couldn't move forward, not bad. LOL
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,541 Captain
    Good work and thanks for the report.
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 603 Officer
    Nice catch.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,857 Captain
    Nice report and eats
    good to see fish coming over the rail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

Very pleased, still getting grooved in.
    Good start for the
    Christmas eve fish fry!
    Can't wait to get out again!
  • LMKLMK Posts: 568 Officer
    that is a great report, thank you
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,466 Captain
    Great post as always Cam. Nice job getting meat in the cooler too.
    Sorry the outboard puked on you. What do you have for power on that boat? You said under warranty, must be fairly new then? Curious.
    When are you going out again on the Yankee Capt?

Pura Vida!
    Great post as always Cam. Nice job getting meat in the cooler too.
    Sorry the outboard puked on you. What do you have for power on that boat? You said under warranty, must be fairly new then? Curious.
    When are you going out again on the Yankee Capt?

Should be going on the Yankee the end of the month with Anglers. I have a 150 Yamaha, 1998. I blew the lower unit in April. They put a new unit on in October, just before we got here. It lasted 6 trips to the reef, and 5 1/2 trips back LOL
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,466 Captain
    I have a 150 Yamaha, 1998. I blew the lower unit in April. They put a new unit on in October, just before we got here. It lasted 6 trips to the reef, and 5 1/2 trips back LOL

Man, that's unacceptable! On a 'new' unit? Or, rebuilt one?
    Glad they will cover it for you - not a cheap proposition.

Pura Vida!
    Man, that's unacceptable! On a 'new' unit? Or, rebuilt one?
    Glad they will cover it for you - not a cheap proposition.

It was new, aftermarket, not Yamaha. Looks like I'm hitching a ride till after Thanksgiving. LOL
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 502 Officer
    Great read. Thanks for sharing
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,145 Captain
    Great report... I'll bet that all of us have at least one photo of what it looks like - getting towed in (somewhere, carefully hidden away...).
    Hope your repairs are quick and painless.

Aren't boats fun?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Great report... I'll bet that all of us have at least one photo of what it looks like - getting towed in (somewhere, carefully hidden away...).
    Hope your repairs are quick and painless.

Aren't boats fun?

At first light, I look north. Not too many whitecaps, I go fishing. Today would have been one. Repairs slow and painful, I will polish my RV...
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,373 Captain
    i'm comin over 4 dinner
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i'm comin over 4 dinner

Breing wine!
  • PurdygirlPurdygirl Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Nice catch, and nicer report
    Purdygirl wrote: »
    Nice catch, and nicer report

:fishing